Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: palpitations... please help!  (Read 157 times)

Offline ryates80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
palpitations... please help!
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:04:48 AM »
I have occasional palpitations and the cardiologist said I was fine. He caught PAC's on my monitor awhile back. Anyway I came to new jersey with my husbands band (all the way from Tennessee). I've been anxious and had a few palos since we got here but last night I was fine I thought. Then we're in the car and I had 3-4 it seemed in a row and got hot and anxious. I've been a wreck since then thinking my heart is going to stop and I'll never get home to see my kids. I didn't sleep at all last night because of worrying. We're leaving today and I'm a nervous wreck. It felt like my heart was stopping. Please help with your experiences or advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Graceski8

• Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
  • Agoraphobic
    • Poke This Member
Re: palpitations... please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
heart palpitations are common and usually completely harmless. it feels like your heart has stopped but it's actually your heart putting in an extra beat and because the rhythms changed a bit you notice it and it feels strange but it's nothing to worry about.

they say if you have more than 6 in a minute or if you have other symptoms such as dizziness, shortness of breath or fainting with the palpitations it could be something else.

it's probably stress and anxiety, i had them the last 3 days on and off and it is a bit worrying but you just need to tell yourself they're common and harmless, everyone gets them now and again.

just try your best to keep your mind off them because if you think about them you will be anxious and they can keep on happening.. i know it's hard but you just have to try your best to distract yourself

x

x

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
I would stay away from caffeine, chocolate, certain cold medicines and the like. Natural
products may help relax you such as L-Theanine.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »
Right after I had my daughter I was getting them every 30 seconds for hours and hours.  The next day I went to the doctor and all it was was anxiety.  Completely benign.  I still get them.  Even though I know they are harmless they still bother me, but I don't let it stop me.  I may get them doing aerobics or swimming, but I just hit myself in the chest and say, "You are fine!" and just plod through it.  They then go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
Thank you everyone. It hasn't happened like that in a awhile. I was fine until I left home for this trip. We're on our way back now and  fighting the anxiety already. I don't drink caffeine at all anymore or take any meds ( I won't even take the xanax or Zoloft I was given). I'm just trying to tell myself to calm down and relax. Which is easier said than done.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrs.boston82

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
Hi;) sorry to hear you are haven a hard time... I know just how you feel. Palpations is what started my health anxiety;( i have pvcs, pacs, svt and sometimes non sustained vtach, all caught and confirmed by event monitors and ekgs. I have hundreds of pvcs a day and feel most of them. It really ran my life for a few years but as the others have said and from what my cardio has told me hundreds of times in a structally normal heart with no heart disease the palpations are harmless. I know they sure dont feel that way.

I found some things that trigger them for me like stress and anxiety. I also found that the more you think about them and worry over them the more they happen. When they start try and busy yourself get your mind off them and maybe it will help. If they bother you very much you can always try a low dose beta blocker it does help some people.

I wish there was something more i could say to put your mind at ease. Its sometimes hard for people who never felt them to understand.. hope you get to feeling better soon;)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: