Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Severe Anxiety, MS? Neti Pot Worried Too  (Read 385 times)

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Severe Anxiety, MS? Neti Pot Worried Too
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
Hello, first time posting.

Alright, so 16, my anxiety has been through the roof this week. However, I've had health anxiety literally nonstop for 35 days. I think it's now finally boiling over because this the absolute worst anxiety I've ever had, I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the feeling. So here's how it all started...

35 days ago I used a neti pot with tap water. That night I was told about nagleri fowleri and how that can kill you. Of course I got on google and looked up every symptom. Naturally, I panicked, I thought I was going to die. I had diarrhea which is a symptom, neck pain, fatigue etc. After 20 days, I figured hey I'm probably in the clear. I stopped having symptoms leading me to believe it was all mental. Then I had a small amount of blood in my stool, it was red, and there were very light streaks on the paper. I never got checked for a hemorrhoid, but I was told that's what it was by my parents. There some itching also. But of course, my hypochondriac self header over to google and I was convinced I had colonitis or even colon cancer. Then, I did some very heavy exercise. For 4 days I couldn't bend my arms past 90 degrees because my triceps hurt so badly. Then, 6 days after the exercise, I could bend my arms, but I had twitching in my left arm. It lasted a few seconds at a time, and happened I'd say 10-15 times that day. I looked up what could be causing this, and stumbled upon ALS.

I panicked. AGAIN. I looked up those symptoms, and I read it made you feel weak. Instantly, my left arm felt weak, then this "weakness" spread to my legs, other arm, etc. I started doing strength tests, working out to see if I had true weakness, and I've been able to do everything fine. But this twitching has spread to my whole body. Same with the perceived weakness.

Last night I had what I believe was a panic attack. Can anyone confirm what this feels like? It was like I couldn't stop pacing, twitching, my heart was racing, there was tingling, etc.

So here are my questions...

1) is it even possible that using the neti pot with tap water is a factor 35 days later?
2) is my anxiety really capable of causing all this twitching/tingling?
3) how do y'all deal with this anxiety?!
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe Anxiety, MS? Neti Pot Worried Too
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »
You are 16. Please. You are way to young to be worrying about this stuff. It's all in your head. I can promise you this. One thing you can take from what I'm saying is DONT GOOGLE. EVER. It will only make your anxiety worse. Good luck :) enjoy your youth, you should be worrying about teenage things not health problems at this age.:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:10:10 AM »
1) No, a neti pot/brain eating amoeba would absolutely not be a concern at 35 days. You could've stopped worrying after 8 days. I've had this fear many many times, and if you don't have any symptoms after 8 days,  you're in the clear. If you have symptoms within those 8 days, you'll be dead in another 5. Stop worrying about this. No need to worry anymore.

2) Muscle twitching and tingling can most DEFINITELY be a symptom of anxiety. Tons of people on this board (myself included) have this and it's from our muscles constantly being tense. The tingling can also be a symptom of a vitamin deficiency. You can see your doctor to have a blood test to see if this is a factor, or you can start taking a multivitamin. See if you notice these symptoms when you're busy with friends or at school. If you're not concentrating on them, and there not there, then you know it's 100% anxiety. If they're only there when you start concentrating on them, yep, anxiety.

3) Anxiety is complicated and hard for any person to deal with. Some people rely on medication, others see a therapist, and others rely on God. Some don't rely on any of the above. Since you are 16, I would highly suggest you talk to your school counselor about this. I've been in your shoes - at 16 I was convinced I had a brain tumor and my parents were of no help. They thought I was crazy, and made me feel that way. If you're in the same boat, you can talk to your school counselor and they will not tell your parents what you discuss in your meetings. But if your parents are open, I would talk to them. Maybe they can take you to a therapist that can help. Speaking from experience, these things only get worse over time. Better to deal with it now before you waste most of your youth on the internet or down in the dumps, worried that you're going to die.

Hope I've helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline No.things

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:01:48 AM »
agreed with xosammy and bpadilla

If it helps.... I had fasciculations (muscle twitches) 'all the time' for many months and I still get them from time to time... definitely 1000% anxiety.
My bloods magnesium level was checked and shown to be a little low.  The twitching eased off after a few months of religious magnesium supplementation.

Anxiety causes blood to go to more vital areas when in panick and that is why your extremeties get numb and cold or tingly.

The blood could be from an anal fissure as well.  I get those when Im super stressed (tight a$$) and I dont relax my poo muscles :D

Personally, I deal with anxiety using comedy, audio books, learning something interesting.
There is an inspiration thread all about what has helped people with their anxiety here. 
Bookmark and Share
“Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.”
― Alan Wilson Watts

Offline gatorfan04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
You are so much like me it's not even funny.  I never knew there were so many people that have shared my same fears.  I have worried about the neti pot many times myself.  After way less than 35 days, you shouldn't be worried anymore.  The other symptoms are undoubtedly from your anxiety.  Stay away from Google, it will ruin you.  Just come here for support when you get worried.

Jesus Loves You
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashmaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:45 AM »
Just want to say that that amoeba is very specific to certain regions; these places usually have boil water advisories and the issue has to do with the fact they do not have water filteration plants.
I would not worry about it at all theres been like 2 cases of this which both resulted in death in a few days, your 30+ days in and your fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
Omg I'm the same literally sit thinking about how anxiety could cause symptoms that seem so real?
But it does, and be careful reading up on als, that's my latest biggest fear and it's terrifying, you will end up investigating every part of your body, my latest is staring for ages at my tongue to look at all the twitching going on, according to my doc it's normal for muscles to twitch especially when your stressed.
Plus trust me I've managed to 'get' all the symptoms since reading so much info on it ... Arms and hands feel light and weak... Legs feel weak suddenly... My speach seems slurred..tongue twitches that can be seen but not felt
Biggest advise is don't use google.
When I stop researching I feel calmer, the minute I look at symptoms I feel I have them which makes me worry more.
My doctor said I 100% don't have als. I'm 100% you don't either, apparently it's incredibly rare anyway and to get it at our ages is virtually unheard of.
Xx
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
Anyone else get tingling in the hands and feet when their anxiety acts up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

• Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
Too much Monsters Inside Me.

AP I have tingling in my fingers in my left hand for the past 2 days, and 3 days ago it was both of my hands.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• »ɗℴ℘∈»
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
35 days ago I used a neti pot with tap water. That night I was told about nagleri fowleri and how that can kill you. Of course I got on google and looked up every symptom.

I've read a bit about that, you could neti pot your nose with tainted toilet water and be fine, especially if you only did it once. although you are suppose to use a saline solution, your tapwater is well-filtered at it's source as well as it probably is at your house, maintained as well. There are children in poorest of countries drinking and bathing in the filthiest ungodly water conditions and that might be something to worry about.

Naturally, I panicked, I thought I was going to die. I had diarrhea which is a symptom, neck pain, fatigue etc.

Most of these symptoms can be anxiety-induced from overstressing it. including diarrhea. There isn't one person in this forum who couldn't say that before they had to do something EXTREMELY stressful they didn't have the urge to blow their butt out. (pardon my language lol). You may have worked yourself into your mind triggering these receptors in the brain, sending off false-positives.

After 20 days, I figured hey I'm probably in the clear. I stopped having symptoms leading me to believe it was all mental. Then I had a small amount of blood in my stool, it was red, and there were very light streaks on the paper.

Did you notice any constipation due to this? was it soft or hard stool? did you feel any burning sensations following this (as you stood up or after wiping)? It could be from irritation from wiping, especially from over-wiping. and/or a hard stool from lack of bowel movement or hydration.

Then, I did some very heavy exercise. For 4 days I couldn't bend my arms past 90 degrees because my triceps hurt so badly. Then, 6 days after the exercise, I could bend my arms, but I had twitching in my left arm. It lasted a few seconds at a time, and happened I'd say 10-15 times that day.

Even if you workout a TON, if you do it right, and as you stated you had a heavy exercise... it could take even up to a week for the muscle to fully recover, just means you had a good workout. not neccessarily anything more than that. Tricep is 2/3 of your arm, that is a big muscle for that size of location, considering tricep works on extension of the muscle, twitching is often to occur from it. if you are right handed, your left arm might be affected more as it is having to work harder than your right arm is because you are right arm dominate (which I am assuming you are.)

I panicked. AGAIN. I looked up those symptoms, and I read it made you feel weak. Instantly, my left arm felt weak, then this "weakness" spread to my legs, other arm, etc. I started doing strength tests, working out to see if I had true weakness, and I've been able to do everything fine. But this twitching has spread to my whole body. Same with the perceived weakness.

You stated it right there. You read that it made you feel weak, and instantly you felt weak. If I stub my toe on the coffee table, and think that I may have broken it... I bet you all I got that it's going to feel like I broke it. Your mind controls your pain as well.

Last night I had what I believe was a panic attack. Can anyone confirm what this feels like? It was like I couldn't stop pacing, twitching, my heart was racing, there was tingling, etc.

Tingling is a huge symptom here of a panic attack. You may have been taking shallow breaths or taking too deep of breaths, too fast of breaths or two slow of breaths. You snap into manual mode and you're incorrectly pumping your body's oxygen/carbon dioxide input/output.

So here are my questions...

1) is it even possible that using the neti pot with tap water is a factor 35 days later?
2) is my anxiety really capable of causing all this twitching/tingling?
3) how do y'all deal with this anxiety?!

1) Buy a lottery ticket. You'd win the powerball before you'd be effected. Doubtful.
2) Absolutely. Anxiety overcomes the mind, your mind overcomes the brain, the brain overcomes the body.

3) You find a route you want to take and you take it.

There are many different paths you can take, you're a bit young, but maybe talk to your parents or a family member who you trust and maybe seek out a Psychiatrist and speak with them about what's going on and go from there. If a Psychiatrist is unavailable, you go see your Family Doctor and speak with them about what's going on and go from there. He can most likely assign you a Psychiatrist and that's an easier way to get into medication route.

You can seek therapy, which takes a lot of self-drive to do but you can do it. a lot of patience involved but it will help teach you how to control your anxiety and allow you to understand what's really going on.

Or you can even do both, which is by far one of the best methods than either one of them alone.

You can speak with others just as you are doing now to calm your senses. etc.

Hang in there, don't let a single person tell you you're crazy because you're not. you're entitled to how you feel. Hope this helps.

Take care.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:37:54 PM »
valleyplayer42 - appreciate you taking the time to answer all that individually! I'm actually a lefty! Didn't really have any constipation. I'd pass stool twice a day on my more stressful days, but I'd feel like I had to go to the bathroom all day, and when I tried there was nothing to pass because I had already gone. Still amazes me how much the mind controls the body and even how much of that is subconscious too.
Bookmark and Share