Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need panic attack advice  (Read 201 times)

Offline MissCrystal

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need panic attack advice
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
How can I convince myself I'm not having a heart attack or seizure during a panic attack? I'm sick of clutching my phone in preparation to call 911.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need panic attack advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »
Hi Crystal...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Like you, Crystal, I have experienced many panic attacks.  On at least three or four occasions, I have ended-up in the emergency room, and one time the attack was so severe, that I almost called the paramedics.  I know that they can be very scary, and certainly they can make you feel as if something terrible is going to happen, such as a heart attack or seizure, that you mentioned.  But panic attacks are harmless, and will not cause these severe conditions.

Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, are treatable, but you must seek help.  I see a psychiatrist, and she is in charge of my mental health.  She has provided me with a diagnosis, a treatment plan, and has started me on an anti-depressant.  Part of my treatment plan includes participating in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  I started CBT several weeks ago.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone.  The very best to you, Crystal!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunl8k

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:09 AM »
I too go through the same thing. I will sometimes call a friend just so I have them on the line and it helps get me through the attack. I also have found that cold water on my hands and a cold wash cloth on my neck helps a lot. I have a lot of stupid little things that help me through the attacks. Some work some days better then others. Good luck and sorry this is such a horrible thing to have:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »
Splashing some cold water on your face usually helps. What helps me the most is finding something to keep my mind busy, for me this is getting out of the house and going for a drive. Listening to the radio and having to focus on driving usually stops any anxiety I might have pretty quickly. Sometimes just getting dressed and getting my wallet and keys calms me down and I don't even have to leave the house.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kryztle21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:32 AM »
Thank you MobileChucko for a very warm welcome and thank you for the advise as well. I have a councilor I see weekly (have been seeing her for about 3 months) and she can help put things into perspective from time to time but I like to get advice from suffers, people who actually live it and not just what a text book taught them may help. I see the med doctor next week and I'm a bit nervous. I was on Zoloft a few years ago and it helped a lot but I'm not sure if she will want to try that again or what.

Thank you Ryze and Sunl8k as well for your input. I have never thrown water on my face during an attack and I am definitely willing to try anything.

Oh and btw I had to make that MissCrystal account at that time because I could not remember this log in :(
Bookmark and Share
"Sometimes the greatest pains in our life are caused by us trying to avoid pain" - RD Laing

Tags: