Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety... Influenza... or worse?  (Read 247 times)

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety... Influenza... or worse?
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
Another day another thread, here's the deal. Yesterday I got pretty worked up about my chest pains and dizziness that by the time I posted and got the "you're 19, you're not going to drop dead from a heart attack" responses that made me feel better - I think it was too late. I got really sick, very dizzy and shaky, dry heaves a few times. Went for a RUN to the store to prove I wasn't going to drop dead from a heart attack, came home and went to sleep. (Gee it feels good just to type this out.)

I woke up at midnight very dizzy and couldn't go back to sleep until about 2. Woke up at 6 this morning, throat hurts(it has since yesterday morning) still have that weird dizzy feeling. (If I stare at my phone or a screen I'm fine, when I move my head or eyes I feel it most.) still nauseous and weak and exhausted. I'm scared I have the flu and it's going to kill me, or I'm scared it's something else entirely.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety... Influenza... or worse?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
It sounds like you might have a cold (at worst) that is sending your anxiety into high gear.  Are you running a fever?  If so that would account for the dizzy/shaky feeling.  Anxiety can cause dizziness/shakiness/etc. as well.  And remember dying from the flu at your age is about as likely as being hit by lightening.  Get some vitamin c and take it easy for a few days...you will be just fine.  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
I have even dizzy since I started fluoxetine off and on. It went away and now it's back worse than ever. More apparent when I move my head. I feel so nauseous/exhausted/dizzy and I just wish it would stop so I could stop thinking I'm dying. I have 2 and a half hours left in my shift and I just don't know how I can get through pretending I'm alright when I feel like this. I'm so scared right now
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
Sounds like a side effect. Those drugs cause lots of side effects - all different ones cause all different effects. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
If it was I feel like it would be more consistent than it is.  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »
What could cause this dizzy lightheaded feeling? It was just when I moved my head but now I feel like my brain in spinning while I sit still. So scared. If I release my jaw it aches a bit, I thought (am hoping) it's an ear thing from TmJ?? Sometimes my hearing goes out in my ear when I move my jaw a certain way...  this dizziness is just out of control right now
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »
A lot of medications have dizziness as a side effect.
The other things sound like TMJ actually. (I don't know if TMJ could cause dizziness)
The dizziness if not a side effect could be middle ear or anxiety.  It depends WHAT you mean by dizzy
A.   Feel like you are on a boat - just that swaying feeling and once in a while it feels like the "ocean" got REALLY rough.
B.  When walking, feeling like the floor all of a sudden dips down
C.  When walking, feeling like you are being pulled to one side
D.  Having to hang onto something for 3 to 30 seconds because the entire room is spinning
THOSE are all the kinds I personally have had (I don't take any medication, so I don't know what kind of dizziness that would cause.)
I never went to the doctor except for "A" which was "benign positional vertigo" - because that was almost all the time and I had a hard time dealing with it.  B, C, D I just did extensive research on and B is anxiety, C is middle ear, D could be wax shifting on the ear drum or fluid shifting. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
DIZZY
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
I think A describes it best, it's all the time. When I move my head it feels like my brain has a hard time catching up like it's spinning in my head. It's so hard to describe that's why it's so frustrating! It's when I'm sitting still, it's like I've gotten to the point where I just want to go for a walk and not stop walking because when I'm walking I don't feel it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
Classic benign positional vertigo.  A head in a certain position will set it off.   It can last a few days or a few weeks, but it does clear up.  I had it so bad I'd be sitting in the tub and the water "lapping" on my skin got me so dizzy I had to jump out of the tub!   And you are right, moving around I was fine - driving and all, but sitting in bed reading was the worst with my head tilted a little downward 9and in the tub my head would be tilted the same way a bit.  It could be in any direction though, you may get it if you tilt your head up, or to the right or to the left.  Usually it's some crystals that become dislodged in the inner ear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
I PRAY that's all it is! It would be amazing, because it's so frightening. That could also explain why it went away and then came back again, if it was a tumour or something with my heart the symptoms wouldn't just disappear for a week then come back.  Thank you for all the time you've put into  responding to me. You've helped me  hold on to the last bit of sanity I have!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
No, of course it wouldn't go away and come back again if it were a tumor.  I don't believe heart dizziness acts like that either.  It's more of a "faint" feeling, not a vertigo or balance/swaying kind.   And there's no pattern on those crystals becoming dislodged - they may never become dislodged again after this time, or they may become dislodged in 3 days for only a few hours.  There's no pattern.

LOL!Here I am talking about dizziness and I just got a pressure feeling in my right ear and got dizzy for a sec! 
The power of suggestion, ey? :winking0008:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
I've "been on a boat" for 3 weeks now, this is the 2nd bout of it. A lot of it is something called vestibular neuritis (virus in the middle ear that inflames the nerve) but my anxiety makes it worse. Anxiety itself is also a very common cause of this sensation. I recommend seeing your dr and getting your ears checked. If they are ok then it's anxiety :) they gave me serc tablets to help control the motion but I have sever anxiety about medication so I have not taken them. Symptoms get better usually within a week but can take 3-6 weeks to fully disappear
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
WOW NO WAY!!! I just got back from the walk in clinic! He pretty much didn't help me at all just said he'd refer me to an ENT but looked in my ears and said they looked fine, he prescribed me serc!! I was really mad because he just masked the problem instead of helping me but now I know I'm not alone LOL!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »
Haha yup all they can do is treat the symptoms. Nothing they can do for middle ear problems :)
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline MilSpouse

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 11:03:08 PM »
It's amazing how similar our experiences are - I had everything you've described (chest pains, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc.), and I know how awful it is! If you're at all congested from the cold, that also could be part of why you're feeling dizzy or could be making it worse. I have issues with my ears ringing when that happens, and the anxiety makes it much much worse.

I actually had about 6 weeks where I wasn't feeling anxious that were mostly symptom-free. Unfortunately, the past couple weeks have been stressful, and they all came back, but those 6 weeks definitely reminded me that anxiety really is the root of all these issues. Even now, my chest hurts and it gets scary, but I just remind myself that when I wasn't anxious, I was fine and I'm still fine now!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: