Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hello, I took my last pill today. Now I am really anxious  (Read 329 times)

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello, I took my last pill today. Now I am really anxious
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
Hello all, apologies for bothering everyone with a new thread.

Basically, a month ago, I started feeling some bloating and excessive burping. I went to the GP's office and was diagnosed with excessive tummy acid. I was prescribed 20 mg omeprazole everyday for two weeks. After almost two weeks, I started to feel a bit better, but the doctor said I could extend my meds up to a month. And so I did.

In general, there has been a great improvement in my tummy issues. The bloating has either disappeared or reduced greatly. The burping has drastically reduced as well. I still burp here and there, but I can say that the burping now falls under my "normal" burping range.

Today, I took my last omeprazole and I am scared that I will go back to square one after a few days or weeks.

To be honest, I still feel some tickling and hunger-like sensations after I eat while I was taking my medicine, but not so much as to cause me intense anxiety. The thing that is only keeping me going is the fact that the burping and bloating have greatly reduced (disappeared, if I watch my eating habits).

I've been through this 3 years ago and all my problems went away after 2 weeks of omeprazole. Now I am just scared that I am still feeling some tummy issues even after a month of the same meds.

I've been to three different doctors this month for the same issue and none of them seem to be concerned. They all agree that it is acid and it could be also because of the "bad" food I eat.

Can anybody help me get through tonight?  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello, I took my last pill today. Now I am really anxious
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »
I've always had those issues, back in December I tried the OTC omeprazol before I had my regular BP appointment.   Of course after 2 weeks the heartburn, etc was back.   So I mentioned it to the doctor and he suggested 4 weeks of Zantac 150mg twice a day.  And then to come back after 4 weeks and "we'll discuss management" - after 4 weeks the heartburn of course came back , but I cancelled my appointment because I already know what to do for management (but I don't do it, so what's the point?).  If yours comes back and you don't want to deal with it, go back and discuss management of it, that's all he's going to do.  I've had heartburn issues since I was 17 (I'm 55).   Sometimes it lasts for days, sometimes every day for years, then it lets up a bit and comes back again.  (I had an endoscopy in 2005 for pressure pain in my stomach for 13 months, they found absolutely NOTHING) - my dad is 80 and has heartburn issues almost daily for 50 or 60 years.  He too had an endoscopy - they found NOTHING - so apparently all that heartburn isn't doing any damage.   
MORAL:  I wouldn't worry about it from a health standpoint - well sure, you could try to control it because in the future it COULD cause some damage, but as you see with me and my dad, that's not always the case.   If you are very uncomfortable dealing with those issues, then all you have to do is modify your diet (mine is really good if I eat plain yogurt!  Exercising gets the heartburn all ramped up, so I'll take a tablespoon of plain yogurt - works just as good as Rolaids and it's GOOD for you  :happy0151:)
I agree with your doctor, nothing really to be concerned about.  The media has us all on edge.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »
Hi sunlover,

Thank you for your reply. You've always been giving thoughtful replies here including me and they have helped me immensely.

I could see how you have suffered from similar issues as well. I do hope that you're managing fairly well. I am happy that all your medical tests came back normal in spite of the seemingly persisting symptoms! At your age, I can only imagine what it must be like to have heartburn since 17 years old!

I don't have the heartburn though nor the feeling that the acid is rising up on my esophagus. My stool are normal.

I am 23 years old and I fear that this could be like a stomach C or something.

For the past week, I just wanna share that  I've been having some random aches on my upper right back and upper left chest near the shoulder. Of course, as expected, this has me worried as well.

Thank you for the tip on the management part. One of the doctors said that it could really be the quality of food that I am taking that could be a big factor. I tend to eat quickly as well. I am trying my best to wrap everything around my head and think that it's all anxiety.

I have a close friend who has similar issues, but only worse. We're of the same age and he gets really terrible reflux. He had an endoscopy and colonscopy and thankfully, everything turned out fine.

Whew, I am still scared to be honest. I just wish there was a pill to take to make HA go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »
Those kinds of pains aren't even cancer related (well, they might be a the very END stages, and you'd already KNOW you have it!) Horrible indigestion would be a symptom, vomiting, severe weight loss, (the other thing I won't say because that can be EASILY brought about by thinking about it!)  Another thing, a PPI would NOT help the burping and bloating at all.  And you said it did.  So...  you're good.
And like I said, if it comes back then all you need is some diet management.  It's nothing serious.
(you COULD get severe indigestion though if you continue to take a PPI without needing it anymore - that would just mean you don't have ENOUGH acid.  You need acid to aid in digestion)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »
Thee are plenty of OTC medicines, such as Prilosec and Prevacid.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »
Thanks sun and marc for the replies.

Sun, may I know how you are doing now when it comes to your GI issues? It's an interesting point that you brought up indigestion with the use of PPIs when you don't actually need them anymore. It actually makes sense to have similar pains when you don't have enough acid. I'm trying to reassure myself that the fact that I got better is a good sign.

Marc, did you have any acid related issues as well? And were you able to take more than one kind of PPI medicine such as the ones you've mentioned?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
For the past few days I have hardly had ANY heartburn, but now I'm not hungry at all.   My stomach has had problems "forever" - This is what happens to me all the time if I don't have the heartburn:  I will feel bloated, not hungry at all, my daughter wants to go out to eat, I tell her "I can't possibly eat, I am so full feeling, I feel a bit nauseated, etc"  Finally I say, "OK I'll just get something light"   So I get that, and as soon as I start to eat I get hungry, I eat that, then I order a hamburger, then I'll get a big dessert...  it happens ALL the time!  It's so frustrating.
I can never let's say have NO heartburn and be hungry like a normal person.  It's always SOME stupid issue.  Sometimes I'll take a ginger capsule to get hungry and it works many times.  But there's nothing wrong with me and some of these things I chalk up to anxiety. Some times I'll take a Xanax and then get hungry and feel real good!  My mom laughs at me, "Xanax isn't a stomach pill, your nerves are messing up your stomach!"
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
Thanks, sun.

I know how you feel about "there's almost an issue"! Sometimes when GI issues flare up, it's difficult to find a day in which there is absolutely no symptom present!

I've been feeling hungry for a few days, but of course there are days in which I don't feel right at all.

Do you also get that tingly feeling in the stomach after a few hours you eat? Like it's a false sense of hunger? I don't know what could be it, but it's probably indigestion. Like something is lightly gnawing in your tummy that goes away when you eat? This seems to be my issue now even after the meds. Well, it's not as bad as before but it still happens occasionally.

Anybody else too who has similar issues? Would appreciate your feedback immensely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skyisblue

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:42:27 AM »
Hi there, have you tried other PPIs like lanzoprazole? My friend finds it more effective. Well, don't start taking it on your own though! Consult your doctor about it first. :) But I think you're getting better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »
Thanks, sun.

I know how you feel about "there's almost an issue"! Sometimes when GI issues flare up, it's difficult to find a day in which there is absolutely no symptom present!

I've been feeling hungry for a few days, but of course there are days in which I don't feel right at all.

Do you also get that tingly feeling in the stomach after a few hours you eat? Like it's a false sense of hunger? I don't know what could be it, but it's probably indigestion. Like something is lightly gnawing in your tummy that goes away when you eat? This seems to be my issue now even after the meds. Well, it's not as bad as before but it still happens occasionally.

Anybody else too who has similar issues? Would appreciate your feedback immensely.

Not sure what you mean by "tingly" feeling - but there is a feeling I get at times which I describe as "hollow" - you feel like your stomach is really hungry but YOU are not hungry, if that makes any sense.  Maybe we are just describing it differently.  Usually this will happen at night so I don't eat, I just deal with it until I fall asleep (but it will be gone during the night - ie: the first time I wake up)

Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
Sky, thanks for the reply. No, only omeprazole though. Ack, I was informed by one of my friend who suffers GERD that it's not ideal to depend on PPI meds since they could make your bones brittle in the long run. They're fairly expensive too. I wish I could just get through this so I don't need to depend on medicine anymore for every single day. :(

Sun, OMG I think you are describing it well. It's like a gnawing sensation, isn't it? It usually comes after you eat then goes away when you eat and then only comes back. For me, it doesn't always happen but it extremely bothers me when it does.

I just ate dinner 2 hours ago and after an hour or so, I started having the same hallow feeling in my tummy although it was mild. I am not drinking ginger brew with lemon grass and it seems to be helping.

Sigh. :(

I just wish this is just a simple case of gastritis. I am worried that it might develop into something scarier...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
I guess it could be described as a gnawing sensation yes...   but like I said, I don't know if it goes away when I eat because I'll get it at night in bed when reading. (if it comes at all, it's not like it happens on a daily basis)  It is VERY uncomfortable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skyisblue

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
You can try gas-x if that helps. Sometimes anxiety gives us the worst GI symptoms!
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
Thanks sun and sky (wow!).

I guess the gnawing thing is so annoying. It is indeed uncomfortable. Ack, for the past 24 hours, my stools are sort of soft. Sigh. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
Make sure you wean off of omeprazole. I had the worst rebound acid ever coming off of it.
Try taking a pill every other day for a bit, then every 2, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: