Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared I have ovarian cancer...  (Read 383 times)

Offline Storyweaver

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared I have ovarian cancer...
« on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:38 AM »
The symptoms of ovarian cancer are vague, and that's what makes it scary. They include frequent urination (check), change in stools and digestion (I have horrible digestion - gasiness, all kinds of messed up bowels, etc), pain in the abdominal area or sharp pains where the ovaries are located, check. I also have random uterine cramps. I also have weight gain, and bloating. Ovarian cancer is one of the most deadly cancers. :( I wish these things didn't exist. I wish people didn't like to live their lives, me included, being scared of these things. I would feel so at peace if cancer didn't exist.  :traurig001:

I did go to the gynecologist. What she found, and this was several months ago, was an ovarian cyst. We did a second ultrasound, and she left me a voicemail saying the first cyst was gone and a second has taken its place. She wants me to take birth control pills, do a third ultrasound, and maybe get surgery to have some tissue removed for diagnosis. She didn't sound urgent, but the fact she wanted me to even do that surgery - does she suspect cancer? :( Can you tell if its a cyst or tumor?

I didn't go back because the first two ultrasounds were expensive and I still haven't paid the bill off (working on it). But I want to to check one more time, even though I'm scared. I'm 23 years old. I wonder what the possibility would be, of me having ovarian cancer... =/

My body is really unhappy right now. I'm a health freak too, so its upsetting because I try my best to take care of myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared I have ovarian cancer...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:38:51 AM »
You didn't mention any kind of irregular bleeding, that's a big symptom.  I know three people who had it, all over 50 (52, 57 and 57).     Sure a 23 year old could get it, you COULD win the mega millions jackpot too, but the odds are SO far off I wouldn't even think about it.
The other thing is you were just to a doctor a few months ago, a tumor wouldn't grow THAT fast to already be pressing on your bladder, making you gain weight, etc!  The sharp pains and random cramps are probably that cyst acting up.  If she thought it was cancer she wouldn't leave you a voicemail telling you those things!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Storyweaver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
Its been quite a while, I just don't remember how long. I also noticed a painful lymph node right above my groin. I just feel like my whole gynecological system is a mess. And usually my age would be of comfort like you said, but I've heard of 17 year old, 20 year old, and similar ages having ovarian cancer too. I wonder if cysts and tumors look similar on an ultrasound...:(

I hate when my body feels like a mess, it messes up everything in my day
Bookmark and Share

Offline Storyweaver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »

"Cancer - in rarer cases an ovarian cyst may be an early form of ovarian cancer. " I just feel like my symptoms have been getting worse...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »
I'm 23, had a major major ovarian cancer fear back in July/August. I'm typing this to remind me to come back and share, but I'm going to bed now as I just gig home from babysitting and it's 12:20am and I'm losing an hour of sleep tonight. Got to get up for church
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »
There are people who won the mega millions jackpot lotteries too...
A cyst is VERY common, maybe if symptoms are getting worse the cyst is getting larger, doesn't mean it's cancer!   Again, many times those things will get to a certain point and get smaller. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
If she suspected for one second that you had ovarian cancer you would be back in the office immediately.  They don't' mess around.

I have a family history of ovarian cancer and I took infertility medication and my Dr *only* did the CA 125 test at my insistence.  He said even with 2 increased risk factors the odds are extremely low and he wasn't worried at all. 

I get horrible pains around ovulation time and it's completely normal.  If you haven't already, start charting so you get familiar with your menstrual cycles and your body.  You'll begin to recognize the patterns and realize it's all normal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: