Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Back pain/tense muscles  (Read 279 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Back pain/tense muscles
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:42:52 AM »
So a week ago I went to the chiropractor for the first time and he prescribed ultrasound therapy for my lower back (I have some pain in my tailbone when sitting for long periods of time).

Well during the ultrasound therapy, they went a little higher up and HOLY. COW. I just about jumped off the table because when she put the transducer over that certain area, it hurt like hell! Never have I experienced pain there before, and this was P.A.I.N.

Everything that I've read says that you're NOT supposed to experience any type of pain with ultrasound therapy.

So why did I have pain? Nobody has an answer, not even my chiropractor.

So for the past 5ish days I've been down with the flu (actually, my whole family. My poor three year old son is on breathing treatments for his cough) and today I've been experiencing horrible body aches along with my fever. Mainly in my back where I felt this pain during the ultrasound therapy.

I'm terrified I have a spinal/bone tumor. I know that it's rare, but it still scares me. I've also been experiencing odd sensations in my face, arms, legs, hands and feet. I've tried chalking it up to anxiety until now. Someone, help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline No.things

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Back pain/tense muscles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:29:28 AM »
Hi bPadilla,

Those really super sensitive pain spots are muscle knots I believe aka trigger points.
Massage would be great for that... Therapists will know where to dig to undo that knot.

Could u describe the odd sensations you've had?

Bookmark and Share
“Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.”
― Alan Wilson Watts

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:32 AM »
It's like someone is touching my lower face, or hand, or leg, or foot, ect. I comes and goes in a matter of a few seconds. If I actually touch the spot, it'll disappear even quicker. I've noticed that when I'm thinking about it, it happens more often/frequently then if i'm out and about running errands or busy - although it still happens at those times too.

It's almost like the pain is on my spine. When I press on my spine in certain spots, it's tender. And the muscles in my back are always tense (I've noticed it and have been trying to relax the muscles more often) so having the flu right now, the body aches in my back are unreal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline No.things

Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
Ive gotten really super sore spots on my spine too when I press lightly even (like a sharp piercing pain).
My chiro presses on each vertibrae to see which ones hurt so he knows how to manipulate better... its very common to have spinal vertibrae/muscle pain like that.
Do you find your chiro is helpful?

The reason I started to go to a chiro was because of tail bone pain and all around pelvic and hip pain that seemed related.  It took almost a year to put my spine back into alignment and keep it strong with excersizes and stretching.  If I can find my print outs of the back excersizes in detail (given to be by my chiro) I'll put them up here for you if you like.  I find it hard to allow myself the time to do the excersizes religiously... just have to get on a schedule... they take about 20 min each day.

Where abouts is your really sore spine spot?  My back and shoulder is getting really sore again because I also have a three year old and a 2 year old that I pack around everywhere :) and have laxed on the back excersizes.
I wonder if your 3 year old has croup? My 3 year old had that a few times... so scary when he couldnt get his breath... it helped to take him outside in the cold air to open up his airways.

The trigger points felt in your back can travel to any part of your body giving odd sensations such as you describe (in distant spots).
 I believe once you have your trigger points released and strengthen your back, the weird feelings and pain will vanish... and so will the anxiety.
(the therapist may find that your sore points on back can be released by working your foot lol.... its really weird how the body works... all connected)
Bookmark and Share
― Alan Wilson Watts

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
Thanks for your help! It makes me feel better! But Im still nervous about the ultrasound therapy pain.

We're not sure what's going on with my son. We're all pretty sick around here - we slept in until 1145am today - practically a miracle for a 3 and 1 year old who go to bed at 8pm and 9pm! I guess we needed it!

We're all starting to feel better, but still not great. My son's coughing has definitely reduced with the nebulizer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline No.things

Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:31:15 AM »
Glad you guys are starting to feel better. 

Our children are about the same ages. I know that before I had my kids I was not prone to anxiety at all.  Then shortly after I had them, strong and deep seeded anxious and protective anxiety arose more often than not and in turn self-preservation thoughts and feelings go with that.  I believe it has hit a point and now I am coming down from that as they get a bit older... knowing that they can be easily taken care of and provided for if I suddenly croak. :)

So when they do the ultrasound therapy, does the instrument touch your skin?  and where was the exact spot that hurt? 
I wonder if the spot kinda did a spasm from the contact if that makes sense? Like when someone rubs something cold on your kidneys and a kinda jolt that inturn caused pain?

Bookmark and Share
― Alan Wilson Watts

Tags: