Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Viral infection??!! - Panicked Mess  (Read 133 times)

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Viral infection??!! - Panicked Mess
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »
Well, here I am again, freaking the eff out over my health. A few weeks ago I began feeling this weird tingle/chill sensation on the right side of my head. Then shortly after that, maybe a day or two, my tonsils swelled up and I had white patches on them. Went to the doc who told me it was tonsillitis and prescribed me some antibiotics. Well, I didn't take them as prescribed but the white patches went away as did most of the swelling. Then, I was enjoying a nice weekend get away with my sister and I began to feel like my neck muscles were stiffening up and my throat on the outside felt irritated. Almost like a bad toothache, when you can feel it on the outside of your mouth. Anyway, I checked my throat in the mirror and it looked at is the left tonsil had blown this weird bubble. Went back to my primary doctor and she told me I had a peritonsillar abscess and I needed to get to an ENT immediately. (I go on Monday of this coming week) The next morning I woke up and my ear, neck, and jaw had such a horrible pressure feeling it was making my jaw and ears throb. Went to the ER and was given a CT Scan which showed that I did not have an abscess on my tonsil and told me I just had acute pharyngitis. BUT MY THROAT HAS NOT HURT THROUGH THIS WHOLE ORDEAL. So I go to the Urgent Care the next day and am told it's my middle ear due to my throat being inflamed and prescribed me prednisone and zithromax. Didn't fill either because I wanted to see my doctor and see what she thought. Just had an appointment today and she told me that because I had been on amoxicillan and Keflex and it was not responding to it, there was nothing more she could do. So I have this appointment on monday with an ENT and I just don't know what to do this weekend. My anxiety level has sky rocketed due to the pressure in my neck, back of my head, jaw and ear and NOTHING touches the pain from my ear. I did go ahead and fill the Prednisone so now I am taking that and the Keflex. I have had no relief from this horrific pressure and pain since Monday and I see no way of getting relief now. Has anyone EVER experienced this? I know that after having panic attacks even getting a cold is no longer okay, no matter what, death is looming but I am so stressed and sick I just need some kind of answer or reassurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Viral infection??!! - Panicked Mess
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
If that were ME, I'd go back to urgent care and tell them of the horrible pressure, tell them you have an appointment with your regular doctor on Monday but you just can't make it through the weekend with that horrible pain/pressure.  I can't believe that other doctor said, "There's nothing more we can do"!!  That is a terrible thing to say because I am SURE there is something they can do!  When a person is that uncomfortable already they will try all different things.  So go back... let us know how you make out.
It's nothing SERIOUS, but why should you have to suffer until Monday!
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Thank you sunlover. I did go back to urgent care and the doctor working tonight was actually a PA but he wanted to know why I was in the situation I was into. He told me my throat looked irritated but nothing to worry to bad about, even if there was no pain. He then told me my ears looked great and when I broke down and started bawling telling him about my worries of a bad infection and my fears of dying from something cause no one would help me figure out what was wrong he told me he would do the best he could to ease my worries. He did a lot of moving of my neck and jaw and told me that what started out as a viral infection I made worse by panicking. My neck muscles had tensed up so bad it was causing TMJ and of course causing all the pressure and pain. He prescribed me a low dose Valium and told me that because I had no temperature and my blood pressure was great, the chance of me dying over an infection was slim to none. So basically, I think I can actually sleep tonight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
That's great!   That doctor who told you, "There's nothing more I can do"?  I'd ditch her!  I am so mad at that doctor and I don't know her OR you!!   That is NOT the way a doctor should act!  I'm so glad you went back and got some help!   :happy0151:
So how did you sleep?  Did the Valium help?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: