Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please Help - Heart Worries  (Read 202 times)

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please Help - Heart Worries
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:38:20 PM »
Hi all, for the past month I've had this light headed feeling. I thought it was because of starting fluoxetine but it stopped for a few days and started again so I know it wasn't the medication. It's a constant mild feeling but it mostly happens when I move my head. Yesterday after I worked out I felt it stronger. I feel occasional chest pains in the centre to left side, right where my heart is. I have neck pain and arm pain in my left arm sometimes. I feel short of breath now, like I can't get enough in. My resting heart rate when I just took it was 100 and I checked my blood pressure at the pharmacy the other day and it was 139/91. I'm a 19 year old female with no history of heart issues in my family that I know of. I'm very scared I'm going to drop dead at any minute. Any reassurance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please Help - Heart Worries
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
Sounds like classic anxiety to me.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
I wish I could believe that but it's so hard to believe that my brain can cause these physical symptoms. Just put my Polar HRM on and my resting heart rate is actually 75 which I think is good but I can't get over the mild pain right at my heart.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
Hi all, for the past month I've had this light headed feeling. I thought it was because of starting fluoxetine but it stopped for a few days and started again so I know it wasn't the medication.

Have you just started this medication for the first time? Starting Prozac (fluoxetine) will have some pretty nasty little oncome effects. Don't be alarmed. Are you taking a benzodiazepine with it such as clonazepam, lorazepam? That might blanket some of these symptoms.

Stopping the medication will not ease these feelings immediately, and if you plan on taking Prozac then you need to stick with your plan and not stop on your own, contact your psychiatrist... who may have already listed some of the things you are feeling.

Yesterday after I worked out I felt it stronger.

After working out your body is in a state of fatigue, in some to most people anxiety takes the beating to you during these states because your mind and brain are literally fatigued, anxiety works in keeping you alert, and when you are fatigued you become more defenseless, This will cause a snowball effect if you let the worry get to you.

I feel occasional chest pains in the centre to left side, right where my heart is. I have neck pain and arm pain in my left arm sometimes.

Is this regarding your workouts/post workouts days after your workouts? account for soreness or aching for a few days, especially if you're pretty vigerous with your workout... Think of how you sleep, think of certain things that can cause this. Is the pain in your arm numbness?

I feel short of breath now, like I can't get enough in.My resting heart rate when I just took it was 100 and I checked my blood pressure at the pharmacy the other day and it was 139/91.

It's mostly caused by anxiety setting in, try yawning or just lying down and thinking about it... The more you think negatively that something is wrong... anxiety will soon follow. considering youre on Prozac (not sure how long, you'll notice a couple weeks of some strange effects just a heads up) you might be at a heightened level of anxiety... especially while running. Your heart rate is perfectly normal, being in a pharmacy or anywhere out door, checking your blood pressure for this reason would definitely show a slight increase. Do you notice a chest pounding?

I'm a 19 year old female with no history of heart issues in my family that I know of. I'm very scared I'm going to drop dead at any minute. Any reassurance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You have a healthy heart... even if you smoked a kilo of crack and drank vegetable oil by the quart on the daily, you probably would have a better chance winning the lottery before you'd drop dead of a heart attack.

Don't let your fears get to you. It's good to keep in contact with your doctor on how you're feeling as well

Keep me updated. (:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
Thank you for such a thorough response I really appreciate it. I have been on fluoxetine for a month now, I didn't stop taking the pills, I just noticed the dizzy symptom stopped for a few days and then came back. Pain in my arm is not numbness, it's just sometimes a dull ache when I could probably attribute to working out, same with the chest tightness I suppose. No chest pounding that I notice ever. Your last comment there really eased my mind. Seriously if I could hug you I would. Thank you so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »
Well I see from your perspective... It's not necessarily from your shoes, but I know that every person is entitled to how they feel, sometimes you've got to take it with a grain of salt, but you were well developed in your situation.

I'm glad to hear that you account for other normal things that might be causing this... hell, even sleeping with two pillows could kink your neck and cause pain.

There's a fine line between being concerned and over-analyzing. You've got to be honest with yourself and do what is best for you, but don't go overboard... because that's not good for you.

Let me give you a bit of my sameness here, if you're willing to read.

I'm 22 years old.

I quit smoking last december (3 months ago). Why?

I have smoked since I was 17 years old... some days a half pack of day, when I went out drinking at bars more than that. I think I've even done a whole pack. I had this anxiety inside of me about it... I was guilted every time I took a puff. I felt that I was decreasing my life every breath I took... I'd look in my ashtray bucket that was full of sand... it was filled. filled with butts. The LID of the bucket was YELLOW and sticky and tarish.

But I was stuck with the complex... "I'm 21 years old... I could quit when I'm 30... 40... Carpe Diem, fear nothing.. Enjoy life while I'm young".

I let my health fears get to me... to the point where I felt like I couldn't breath, but I was pretty active with exercise, and I had been smoking before I started running and exercising so I couldn't really compare that...

But I would always feel this very acute chest pain in the left center of my chest. It was lung cancer! I felt that I had lung cancer.... Could I feel lung cancer through my chest? I felt this off and on... but almost ALWAYS when I thought about it. and if it set in, and I thought about it it would get worse.

I lived with that acute chest pain for a couple years and just ignored it. never sought a doctor... and never said "lung cancer" in fear that I'd jinx myself. I feared what I didn't know. and my worry made it come back. Do I have lung cancer? I don't know. I don't plan on testing for it.

Long story short.... I quit smoking. And since I quit I have never felt that acute chest pain ever again. even thinking about it (not worrying about it) I don't even feel it. I want to say it was anxiety induced. but I have nothing to support the other half..

Moral of the story is... Personally in my opinion, if you feel that something is wrong, your body will do whatever it can to fix the problem. It's like sending out false positives.

Best wishes and hang in there. be honest with yourself, and good will follow. That's the 100% guaranteed factor that will keep you alive. I promise you that.

Keep us updated.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
Hi K:)

Very nice, detailed, insightful replies you got from Potatoes!

Exercise is vital and wonderful for HA peeps. Keep on truckin' with that. There are times when HA peeps will discontinue working out (or not even start at all) because they feel their bodies cannot handle it. And / or. they do not like the physical manifestations that exercise brings on (rapid heartbeat, sweating, lightheadedness - at times, etc.) Cardiophobes can be especially weary (leery) of getting their tickers pumping during exercise. I was a hot mess cardiophobe many, many years ago. I was near certain that my heart was gonna just blowup in my chest or that it would simply quit working while I was sleeping. Tough times....scared when awake and fearful to go to sleep.....ugh!:) My anxiety issues started about the same age as you. I turn 49 this year and I am in wonderful shape...still exercise regularly....and still work on keeping my anxiety in check:) My heart was ALWAYS just groovy.....but I couldn't wrap my anxious / panicked mind around that notion. You'll be just fine - heartwise!:)

Some advice, at 19 you do not need to be taking your BP at the drug store....or anywhere for that matter. Let the Doc do it once a year during your check-up / physical:) Those machines can be wonky anyway.

You're young and healthy. Tax your body...enjoy your body...cherish your body...respect your body....do not fear your body!

What other self-help techniques have you tried for helping you with your anxiety?

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:50:01 PM »
Thanks you Potatoes and FG :-)

FG thank you for your kind words. This heart worry has just come on recently and full force.  I do a lot of yoga and breathing exercises along with taking  fluoxetine. I just tried to take a bath to relax and experienced quite the opposite. When I layed down the chest pain was really sharp and wouldn't go away so I got out and got a massive head rush, ears started ringing and then whooshing. Now I'm sitting on my bathroom floor.  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
Now I'm nauseous. Could be from the anxiety or more heart symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: