Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New Here  (Read 66 times)

Offline MoonQuest25

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New Here
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »
Hi. I'm new here. I have general anxiety disorder/depression, and my therapist suggested I join an online community where I could get to interact with others who have similar problems. I feel crippled by my anxiety and can't really relate to anybody in real life. I used to think I was the only one with this problem, but now I see that there are others. It's hard for me to lead a normal life. Apart from my family, I don't have any friends and it's hard for me to keep a job (I purposely didn't go to my job interview today).

It used to be a lot worse. I couldn't leave my house, and I still can't unless it's going to see the therapist and psychiatrist, putting in/picking up my prescriptions,  or grocery shopping. Other than that, I stay inside. I think I have agoraphobia, but I was never diagnosed. I figure I have no place to be, no one to see, so why go out? It's depressing. I don't really like being around people but a friend or two wouldn't hurt. I feel judged and scrutinized all the time, I have racing thoughts, and can never seem to relax in social situations--I'm even anxious and self-conscious around family members! Everywhere I go people ask me, "How come you're so quiet" "Smile". I hate that. Can anyone relate? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
Hi MoonQuest,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

I can definitely relate to what you are saying.  I used to get the "Why are you so quiet?" and "Smile" all the time.  It gets very old.  It sounds like you are hard on yourself like I am.  Always seeing the worst in ourselves.  That only serves to strengthen the anxiety.  You have to see your own value.  I also started out being afraid to leave the house, but by pushing myself I have really been able to do so much more.  Friends are a wonderful thing and they have helped me through so much.  Especially the friends I have made here who understand and deal with anxiety like I do.  I hope you are able to see your value and make some friends.  These things will help you immensely with your inner strength and allow you to go out and face the fears. 

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum.

Again welcome to our community.

Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags:

anything