Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Last post. Tightness in throat  (Read 158 times)

Offline playmaker093

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Last post. Tightness in throat
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
I promised myself I'd stop and work on my anxiety if I figured this out. Whenever I workout or get anxious and sometimes when I wake up in the morning I have tightness on both sides of my throat and a lump feeling down under my thyroid. I don't know why this happens. It's not constant but it seems to happen Everytime I workout and it's happened a lot when I wake up. Doesn't hurt to swallow or talk and no cough
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 175
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Last post. Tightness in throat
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
Whenever I workout or get anxious and sometimes when I wake up in the morning I have tightness on both sides of my throat and a lump feeling down under my thyroid.

The 'get anxious' part is what matters here, IMHO:) And, you can't really tell the lump is directly 'under your thyroid', either (linking it to a thyroid issue in your head). But, I sure do know we can feel these type things and how anxiety can make our throats feel 'tight' and 'wonky'. I used to forcibly clear my throat so often, back in the day, as my throat seemed to be 'closing' or 'off'. Eventually, this subsided as I found some relief for my overall anxiety / panic attacks.

I don't know why this happens. It's not constant but it seems to happen Everytime I workout and it's happened a lot when I wake up. Doesn't hurt to swallow or talk and no cough

Seems, to me, that as it isn't constant there isn't a sinister underlying physiological cause. And, now that you've 'linked' the two together - exercise and the throat issue - that there is some kind of self-fulfilling outcome happening. Your mind expects it....so it happens, likely. Not coughing or hurting and not having any other prevalent symptoms sure sounds promising to me that this is overwhelmingly an anxiety manifestation. Not saying it isn't there....I know we do feel this stuff....I sure did. But, our solace will come from working on our anxiety healing path and, most likely, not running off to the Doc (again:)

Exercise is vital for HA peeps:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
Re: Last post. Tightness in throat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
Seems, to me, that as it isn't constant there isn't a sinister underlying physiological cause. And, now that you've 'linked' the two together - exercise and the throat issue - that there is some kind of self-fulfilling outcome happening. Your mind expects it....so it happens

Wow floridaguy, you hit the nail on the head!!   Everytime it would snow I'd get missed heartbeats. I was shoveling snow the first time in December and it started happening, then every subsequent time if I'd go out and even LOOK at a snow shovel there it would go, "beat, beat MISS... beat", then it would happen every time I'd get to a certain spot on the walk!  Stupid!  I would just plod through it and within about 5 minutes it would stop (the missing beats, not my heart! LOL!!) - the last 2 snowstorms it didn't happen anymore.  (I knew nothing was wrong with my heart as I have had this problem the past 30 years, and I also do high impact aerobic dancing and it NEVER happens with that)  You have good insight :yes:
(FLORIDA guy...  FLORIDA!  I'm jealous!  I have to escape NJ this year, can't take this weather anymore!)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: