Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Asking medical advice on dr. answered websites?  (Read 341 times)

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Asking medical advice on dr. answered websites?
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:40:06 AM »
What are the thoughts on those websites where you can pay to ask a dr. your medical questions like justanswer.com? It costs about $16. I haven't used one before personally, but in my hypochondriac googling I have come across a few questions that were answered on there. It must be nice to have immediate answers from a real Dr. They seem to offer reliable and professional advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Asking medical advice on dr. answered websites?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
It really kind of depends on the nature of the questions you're asking. considering they aren't seeing you face to face to really screen what's going on or any health concerns, they are relying on just what you tell them. It's kind of a toss-up I suppose. considering you have a health anxiety, it'd be hard for them to really diagnose symptoms without being able to look over yourself... but to have someone with a medical degree to tell you if you really have anything to worry about based on the symptoms you tell them, it could definitely relieve you of any anxieties.

I haven't really used any of those sites, just seen doctors in person, but if you choose to do it let me know how it works out.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »
I've used justanswer multiple times, as well as healthtap - except healthtap is free!
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:20 AM »
healthtap is free - but they almost always tell you to go see a doctor. again, like the other posting person mentioned; it all depends on the question.
Bookmark and Share

Offline matt1990

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
I'm looking for advice and a 4th opinion on what to do about the cubital tunnel syndrome in my left elbow. I've had it since october of last year. I first went to an orthopedic dr within 2 weeks of the symptoms. He diagnosed me with ulnar neuropathy. I was told to rest for 6 weeks and see if it got better. In the mean time I went to my GP who prescribed me meloxicam. Things didnt get any better. I went to a follow up appointment with the orthopedic dr who referred me for an EMG and nerve conduction study. I had those tests done which confirmed moderate to severe cubital tunnel syndrome in my left elbow. I was then referred to an orthopedic surgeon. I went to the orthopedic surgeon about 4 weeks ago and of course he is recommending surgery, but also says there is no guarantee with surgery. He gave me four more weeks to do some ulnar nerve glides and see if things improved on their own. Those four weeks are up now and I am due for a follow up. I'm scared of surgery and being out of work for months. I am self employed and cant afford the time off. On the other hand I am scared of the outcome of not having surgery. However, the surgeon said many people dont have surgery.

I just need advice on what to do and also more statistics on how this may improve on its own without surgery. I also need to know time frame wise how much longer I can wait before the prognosis becomes worse.

Would it be good in this situation to talk to one of those internet dr's?
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
I would probably would stay away from these websites and just consult your physician locally as
it is difficult to give any diagnosis unless you are examined.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »
Any professional opinion couldn't hurt. Be sure to be direct and honest, don't leave anything out.

But in my personal opinion I wouldn't rely on what they say 100%. Look at it as a starting point to see and go from there.

Think of it like wanting to watch an MLB baseball game.

Think of your online doctor is getting you to the stadium and finding you a place to park. It might be close to the gate, or it might be far away, but it gets you to where you're going.

and think of seeing a doctor face to face as finding your seat in that stadium. lol (I'm picking at straws with these analogies)
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
For example, you may be having chest pain. Odds are the online doctor would send you to the ER as he can't really
examine you. Years ago my wife had chest pain and it was GI related. It would be more difficult to diagnose over the
web.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Happenstance

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
I asked one about my hand eczema and he gave me an interesting theory on how a regular staph bug which lives on our skin has now been found to cause eczema, something to put to my GP  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline NewMommyTX

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »
I always use justanswers.com and the answers I get would help my anxiety a lot! I've used it since a year ago. I also go to regular doctors after getting the answers. But sometimes it's the weekend or late at night and you want answers right away
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
I always thought of using them, but then I thought, "Gee, how do I know the are really a doctor?  It could be someone like one of US giving advice.  After all we have read and googled so much we feel like we should be Matt1990, MD or Sunlover, MD...  all my friends and family come to me when they have a health question and if I let it go to my head and I bought a website (which ANYONE can do) I could say I'm a doctor and have at it!   ;*)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: