Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How long until initial side effects of Paroxetine wear off?  (Read 329 times)

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How long until initial side effects of Paroxetine wear off?
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »
Hello all,

I've been on Paroxetine CR 12.5mg since last Saturday, so today is day 6 that I've taken it. I take it around 10AM-11AM every day with some food.

The side effects are... Very uncomfortable thus far. I take Alprazolam .25mg as needed a few times a day now. I did a few weeks leading up to it as well since things were getting worse. But now I feel weird on the Paroxetine. I called my doctor, but she was out of the office so I spoke with another physician there. She said that it is probably my body getting used to the medicine and to give it a week and a half or so for my body to adjust.

Every day I take it I seem to get lightheaded, dizzy, and I get a large anxiety attack. Sometimes I get headaches or stomach aches. When I feel the symptoms of an anxiety attack coming on I'll take a Xanax.

Overall, I still feel out of it. I feel out of person, as if my soul is trapped within my body and I'm just seeing this world through these eyes and it's a temporary thing. That doesn't really make sense, but it hard to explain. I somewhat had the feelings prior, but it's amplified with the Paroxetine.

So, is it usually about two weeks for the medicine to settle in? This is killing me. I do a lot of driving, and I get from point A to point B, but I feel kind of out of it.

I am also much more fatigued. I don't know if it's the Xanax. Earlier today I actually felt... Pretty good, but drugged up in a way. I had energy and had my head held high and coordination was ok. Then it went downhill. I guess the Xanax evens me out a bit, but it drags me down within a couple of hours. So I sleep a lot more than usual.

I push myself to exercise as much as I can as well, but it's hard due to the fatigue.

Concentration is also much more off. I am unsure if you can tell from this post, but my mind is a bit scattered as well. It makes it hard for me to do my paperwork at work as well.

Any suggestions?

I also asked the physician about weight fain in regards to Paroxetine CR 12.5mg and she said that the chances of weight gain are minimal... Weight gain was a huge concern to me.

And sorry last, but not least, I heard taking Fish Oil while taking this medicine is a good idea. Is that true??

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: How long until initial side effects of Paroxetine wear off?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »
Every day I take it I seem to get lightheaded, dizzy, and I get a large anxiety attack. Sometimes I get headaches or stomach aches. When I feel the symptoms of an anxiety attack coming on I'll take a Xanax.

Unfortunately, what you describe is not unusual. SSRIs have a wide range of effects on the body initially as serotonin is made and used by many organs, not just the brain which uses less than 2%. The side-effects will diminish as the body adjusts, but may return when the dose is increased.

I am also much more fatigued. I don't know if it's the Xanax.

It could be either, but it is more likely to be the Xanax.

Any suggestions?

There is nothing you can do to speed this up beyond what you've already done, starting on a low dose and using Xanax to ease the really rough patches.

I heard taking Fish Oil while taking this medicine is a good idea. Is that true??

Yes, there is good evidence that Omega-3 fatty acids/fish oil is beneficial for anxiety disorders and depression. The EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) component is more important than DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »
I don't know if the intial effects are the same, but my Zoloft initial effects ended exactly two weeks after I started it.

It's starting to simmer back down to how I felt before I took it, I've noticed it's kind of bummed me out too, Hopefully our symptoms will clear up soon. Sorry to hear you're not feelin so hot.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the rapid responses :)

Today is the same... so I figure about another week and ill be ok. It has been a truly terrible experience thus far, but I hope that it is al worth it in the long run.

I have a psych appointment in a week or so. If he decides to up the meds will this all happen again? With the same severity?

I've been having weird dreams, too. Mostly about dead people. Theyre not nightmares though. I'm not afraid, but it is freaky and weird.

I'll start taking Fish Oil again.

The dizziness is getting to me. Especially while driving.

I just want to feel normal again. Is that so much to ask for? :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »
I just got off of it I started at 10mg the side effects diminished in about 2 to 3 weeks I felt pretty strange like you. I got off of it tho it was making me too sedated and didn't help with my depression much, I'm on klonopin daily so the 2 together made me wanna sleep a lot. The first few days I was couch riddin, I always kinda just like lay around when I start new meds and try not to freak out on them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
It has been a truly terrible experience thus far, but I hope that it is al worth it in the long run.

Think about your Anxiety threshold being at a bar that's level 10... Before you started these medications when you go through your day and you experience things that cause anxiety it'll throw it around 7 or 8... maybe a 9... on a bad day... with rating of 10 being full blow panic.

When these initial effects take off, the anxiety becomes more generalized, and not specific to your normal triggers, often raising your numbers to levels of 12-13. That's often why they give you a faster acting medication to blanket the top of these anxiety spikes. It's definitely going to get worse before it gets better. I remember I've never had a panic attack or an anxiety attack since I started zoloft. but there was a solid 5 days that I had them.... one that lasted well over an hour, just lying on the couch, rocking back and forth, thinking the Grim Reaper was about to come out of the closet. It's tough but you gotta stick through it...

Panic disorder subjects have the hardest time getting on any long-term SSRI's partly because of this reason... you might even notice some days of dullness or depression, I have no drepression whatsoever but in my hell weeks I suffered a good lick of it.

I have a psych appointment in a week or so. If he decides to up the meds will this all happen again? With the same severity?

Depending on how long you've been on this medication, he might keep you at this level to monitor your effects for a little bit before upping you, you'll notice that it's not the right dose when your anxiety spikes and anxiety in general return to your normal anxiety as before you taken it, I personally believe... after that he may choose to up your dosage. If you maintain the dosage you're on right now, and he increases your dosage, even slightly, then the answer is yes you will most likely experience the same initial start up effects you felt starting it.... but not as long and/or not as severe... it might not happen at all, but don't bet on it. But it will be okay. When you're maintaining your body to that type of dosage, your body then makes it your "median" or your "normal" so increasing the levels will have the same effects from starting at ground zero, in my humble opinion.

I've been having weird dreams, too. Mostly about dead people. Theyre not nightmares though. I'm not afraid, but it is freaky and weird.

For the 2-4 weeks of taking Zoloft I have noticed very vivid dreams, very lifelike.... some nightmares. back to back and almost every night for a few nights... they were graphic and gory, nothing like I ever experienced... to the point where I was afraid to go to sleep... as far as I know it has cleared up, so that won't stay forever.

The dizziness is getting to me. Especially while driving.

I've noticed I get the spins every time I lie on my back to go to sleep, almost nauseating, hope that will reduce for you as well

I just want to feel normal again. Is that so much to ask for? :/

I don't blame you. I had the SAME exact sentence coming out of my mouth multiple times, but you've got to push through it, and your psychiatrist will agree with that. You've got nothing to lose but a mind battle, and if you chose a medication path, it will help you but it's a journey and not a race... feel at ease you have sought help and not suffering it on your own.

Base wishes to you my friend.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »
I think I had like some kind of seizure on Zoloft idk what it was everytime I stood up my brain would feel like it was like bubbling and I would sweat so bad on it idk why but out of anything I've tried that was the worst anti depressant I've ever tried, and I was on it for 3 days at 12.5 I had to go to the e.r it was horrendous. The psych at the e.r said it had something to do with dopamine and her father had the same reaction. She wanted to keep me over night and start me on a mild dose of seroquel, which is making me think I might have some type of low bi polar? Idk I'm suppose to start my effexor tomorrow and I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar disorder at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I seem.to get dizzy when I look down,  such as at my phone. Staring at my computer at work and reading makes me feel a bit uneasy as well. I hope that that is remedied soon as well.

I'm a week in tomorrow!  I'm very sensitive to meds, so hopefully no initial increase is needed.

Another question: When it comes to Paroxetine CR, is it known to hinder muscular strength and/or muscle gain? I avidly exercise. Since I'm taking the Xanax too I am so tired and almost don't go, but I force myself to go in unless I feel sick or too dizzy.  I want to make sure that this medicine generally doesn't hinder such gains.

I did feel a bit better today though. If I take a Xanax every 6 hours I felt a bit more energized, but kind of drugged up. As usual, it's hard to explain! My goal is to feel better by Summer. Im 25, I cant miss another Summer :(

Oh! One more! Obviously drinking on such meds is not a great idea, but is it generally acceptable sparingly? I'm not an alcoholic, butid like to be able to go out and grab a drink with some friends or have some beers at a BBQ, ya know?

PS
I love the King Boo icon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:29:54 PM »
I'm a week in tomorrow!  I'm very sensitive to meds, so hopefully no initial increase is needed.

You should take at least the minimum 25mg therapeutic dose to make sure neurogenesis is initiated and sustained. Taking more than is needed has no effect, the excess is just eliminated, but taking less may increase the odds of poop-out.

I did feel a bit better today though. If I take a Xanax every 6 hours I felt a bit more energized, but kind of drugged up.

Benzodiazepines are sedating initially, but tolerance to this usually develops within a couple of weeks which should reduce the "drugged up" feeling.

Obviously drinking on such meds is not a great idea, but is it generally acceptable sparingly? I'm not an alcoholic, butid like to be able to go out and grab a drink with some friends or have some beers at a BBQ, ya know?

Alcohol and anxiety disorders aren't a good mix, but the odd drink shouldn't be a problem. However, be careful if drinking while on Xanax in the evenings as both depress activity in the brain stem which also produces the breathing reflex. One or two drinks will be okay, but being drunk could cause problems while you're sleeping. Also take care with the antidepressant-alcohol combination until you work out how you're affected, especially if you have to drive, as a few find it unpredictable. They find that on occasions a small drink is enough to turn their legs rubbery, and at other times they could drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table. But most have no issues.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:43:54 AM »

You should take at least the minimum 25mg therapeutic dose to make sure neurogenesis is initiated and sustained. Taking more than is needed has no effect, the excess is just eliminated, but taking less may increase the odds of poop-out.

I did feel a bit better today though. If I take a Xanax every 6 hours I felt a bit more energized, but kind of drugged up.

Benzodiazepines are sedating initially, but tolerance to this usually develops within a couple of weeks which should reduce the "drugged up" feeling.

Obviously drinking on such meds is not a great idea, but is it generally acceptable sparingly? I'm not an alcoholic, butid like to be able to go out and grab a drink with some friends or have some beers at a BBQ, ya know?

Alcohol and anxiety disorders aren't a good mix, but the odd drink shouldn't be a problem. However, be careful if drinking while on Xanax in the evenings as both depress activity in the brain stem which also produces the breathing reflex. One or two drinks will be okay, but being drunk could cause problems while you're sleeping. Also take care with the antidepressant-alcohol combination until you work out how you're affected, especially if you have to drive, as a few find it unpredictable. They find that on occasions a small drink is enough to turn their legs rubbery, and at other times they could drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table. But most have no issues.

Ian

Thank you for the reply!

The GP that I went to is the one that put me on the Paroxetine CR 12.5mg. From what I've read, this is a good starting point. I'll have to wait and see what the Psychiatrist says in a little over a week. I really hope that this dose does it for me. I HATE how I feel.

I also came off of Cymbalta late last year and it took weeks for the initial side effects of coming off of it to fade away. The Psychiatrist I was seeing at the time - one at which I am not seeing anymore - told me to merely stop taking the Cymbalta. I was taking 30mg for about two months and he upped it to 60mg when I told him I felt "out of it" altogether. Three nights in a row I got terrible chest tightness, so I called thereafter and he told me to stop taking it. He seemed annoyed over the phone... So I never went back to him. If I am going to see a professional, I want them to act that -- professional, compassionate and caring for their patients. Coming off of the Cymbalta made me feel like my head was going to roll off of my shoulders. It was the worst. I felt so sick.

Then I took the holistic route for about a month or so, taking St. John's Wort, Valerian Root and such. It was alright, but it wasn't enough for my anxiety. The physiological manifestations would flare up. I needed something that stayed in my body longer.

Hence, the current medicine.

I hope that it works.

As for drinking, I really hope I can tolerate it on this medicine. With the Xanax I've drank before, and I DEFINITELY felt like the alcohol's effect was amplified. I felt drunk after 2 drinks. I also had not drank in awhile, but still, I used to be able to drink a 6 pack and not feel anything.  I don't want to get black out drunk, but I want to enjoy myself. Ya know? If I drink now (Last time was Super Bowl Sunday), my stomach cannot handle it, which I attribute to my anxiety affecting my stomach. I feel relatively OK WHILE drinking, but when the buzz starts to wear I get terrible reflux. It's like the gateway to my stomach is just open. I used to be able to chug beer (I'm not saying that's great, but I was able to do it) and take shots, now it's like I can't even try a brew or go to the bar and grab a drink (Well, the social anxiety inhibits that for the time being now. Since my anxiety has increased I get anxious to go out socially, but work I can generally handle with my medicine now).

The Xanax has gotten a bit better. I used to feel drunk on it. Now it is tolerable for the most part. The fatigue is bad, but not as bad.

Thanks again for the response!
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
Update: Today is day 8 on the medicine. I feel pretty terrible still overall. Driven has become tedious. I feel so spaced out all of the time.

I just got out of the gym and had an anxiety attack. Other than that, today all I did was last around. I had no energy to do anything. I guess I'm also feeling a bit down since everyone was out celebrating St. Patrick's Day this weekend and I couldn't do anything.

Still have dizziness, especially when looking down. I've never passed out in my life, but I am getting sensations sometimes like I'm about to.

Concentration is also low. Putting together so mere paragraph of thoughts is difficult.

Hopefully this ends soon. I want my life back.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: