Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: YOGA  (Read 861 times)

Offline Purple22

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: YOGA
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
I would like to try yoga or meditation. I have been told it's good for anxiety. But how does meditation works?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 88
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
Meditation has been around for countless years, there are many books about it and plenty on YT. It is a matter of sitting quietly for maybe 5 minutes to start and focus on breathing in and out. Count to 4 in and 5 out. Mind will wander, gently bring it back to breathing.

Over time it can have wonderful effects on our brain, body, psyche. We begin to feel calm, at peace, in the moment without stress, with increased sense of confidence and being at one with self. Takes time and patience.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:31:22 AM »
Meditation helped me quite a bit with my insomnia after I'd practised it for awhile. Sadly I'm not very disciplined when it comes to my own well being so I dropped it after I'd got my sleeping back on track. I have recently decided to treat myself to a brand new shinny red player to keep me motivated  :laugh3:. Will tell how it goes.
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
Oh yes, it is easy to slip away from practice. For one thing there isn't always an immediate, observable result. After all, we are trying to recondition the brain, is how I see it. No simple matter. Takes time.

So Patience is the key word. Whatever you can do to make it part of your routine is helpful. I utilize slow, soft music, sometimes do hand and even slow arm movements (from tai chi). The changes can come in waves, or slow motion. As the saying goes, "Keep the Faith."
Bookmark and Share

Offline fullofself

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
Not sure if anyone's heard of this, but on iPhone (and maybe other phones? not sure about this one either) there is an app called Headspace that has 10 free guided meditations and some helpful short stories in video form. I find it to be really helpful. I think the full year is $80, I might splurge on it. They have an online forum as well, where the creator of the program is active and responds quickly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
Am not up on this tech stuff, but there is plenty on YT re meditation and yoga and I'll add tai chi which seems like another form of meditation.

All so worthwhile exploring and learning and practicing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
I absolutely love yoga.  Though when I first started it, I pulled/strained a muscle.  :dazed:
But before that, I really enjoyed it and looked forward to it.  I'm getting back into it now, slowly this time!  It's helped a lot to decrease my health anxiety and relax my muscles.  I'm doing a very simple one now, though, which has a lot of deep breathing exercises involved.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »
The first rule in yoga is never to try anything that does not feel good. It can get discouraging to notice what a teacher or someone else can do. That is totally irrelevant.

What you can do comfortably is all that counts. You might try several Half Sun Salutations you can view on YT.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:32 PM »
Trouble is, it felt great at the time!  Heh.  It was the next day that I realized.  Don't worry, I've learned my lesson.  I'll look that up, thanks. (:
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything