Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: YOGA  (Read 550 times)

Offline JTD88

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
YOGA
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
How many of us do yoga to help with anxiety/stress? I have recently taken it back up and wow... it certainly helps. Been doing it for about a month now, sure the anxiety is still there, but it really is a great way to relieve stress at the end of the day, or taking a quick break at work and doing some Mountain poses in the bathroom!

Anyone else care to share any good yoga to help with anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: YOGA
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
At last, someone for yoga. It is a big part of my life most every day. Have been at it for years and still go to class twice a week. Also do tai chi at home and with a class once a week. A wonderful teacher. There are DVD's and plenty is on YT. Not to forget meditation.

All together, these activities can transform the brain and body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JTD88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
At last, someone for yoga. It is a big part of my life most every day. Have been at it for years and still go to class twice a week. Also do tai chi at home and with a class once a week. A wonderful teacher. There are DVD's and plenty is on YT. Not to forget meditation.

All together, these activities can transform the brain and body.

Much agreed. I have been doing meditation VERY intense the last few days, wow, you know you are in the zone when time flies by.

Tried Tai Chi a while back, and it was great, should possibly get back into it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:03 AM »
Another tai chi and yoga fan here. I try doing it as often as possible but...let us just say that I'm re-starting it at this point  ;D. Does me good when I actually do it, just need the discipline.
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
Lovely, the more the merrier. We can make yoga part of our daily routine along with meditation. Mountain Pose is the start of a number of poses. We connect to the earth and let the energy of the earth rise up to us. We can start with Half Sun Salutation, a warm up and breathing exercise.

Tai Chi is excellent for balance and can serve as a form of standing meditation. It is nice to do all of it to favorite, soothing music.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopeful78

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • www.everylastbreath.com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
yes yes yes! this really works!
it doesn't work acutely sometimes, but over time, it changed my ability to be able to relax, to stay positive, to bring myself back to calm, and it really just changed me into a more accepting, compassionate peaceful person on the whole.
Bookmark and Share
www.everylastbreath.com::A blog about life, panic and purpose.

Offline rianimal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
OOOOH!  Love this thread!  Happy to know others here use yoga to help!  I'm young and a musician in a scene that can make it hard to stay away from substance abuse.  Especially cause I have social anxiety!  Yoga, meditation and pilates are so important to me.  Thanks for sharing!
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
OK, so what are we doing in yoga, meditation, pilates, tai chi? I'm at it every day. Can I learn something new?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »
Well. I started doing yoga more regularly again. I put together a series of postures (30 minutes) that should be good for anxiety and depression. Among them are sun salutations, tree, mountain, baby/rabbit, cobra etc.
I only do pilates and tai chi at the gym once a week. I prefer tai chi, pilates is haaard   :laugh3:.
Bookmark and Share
(E. A. Poe)

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »
A 30 minute routine is substantial. Mine is more like 15 minutes but I also meditate.

Do some tai chi type warmups, couple half sun salutations, about 4 sun salutations. May do tree or easier tai chi balance on toes such as bird flaps its wings or crane. Music gets me going. It gets blood circulating and that always helps. Agree that Pilates is more difficult. So I sometimes do a few sit-ups to satisfy Mr. Pilates. :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Purple22

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
I would like to try yoga or meditation. I have been told it's good for anxiety. But how does meditation works?
Bookmark and Share
Courage is knowing what not to fear. -Plato #courage

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
Meditation has been around for countless years, there are many books about it and plenty on YT. It is a matter of sitting quietly for maybe 5 minutes to start and focus on breathing in and out. Count to 4 in and 5 out. Mind will wander, gently bring it back to breathing.

Over time it can have wonderful effects on our brain, body, psyche. We begin to feel calm, at peace, in the moment without stress, with increased sense of confidence and being at one with self. Takes time and patience.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:31:22 AM »
Meditation helped me quite a bit with my insomnia after I'd practised it for awhile. Sadly I'm not very disciplined when it comes to my own well being so I dropped it after I'd got my sleeping back on track. I have recently decided to treat myself to a brand new shinny red player to keep me motivated  :laugh3:. Will tell how it goes.
Bookmark and Share
(E. A. Poe)

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
Oh yes, it is easy to slip away from practice. For one thing there isn't always an immediate, observable result. After all, we are trying to recondition the brain, is how I see it. No simple matter. Takes time.

So Patience is the key word. Whatever you can do to make it part of your routine is helpful. I utilize slow, soft music, sometimes do hand and even slow arm movements (from tai chi). The changes can come in waves, or slow motion. As the saying goes, "Keep the Faith."
Bookmark and Share

Offline fullofself

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
Not sure if anyone's heard of this, but on iPhone (and maybe other phones? not sure about this one either) there is an app called Headspace that has 10 free guided meditations and some helpful short stories in video form. I find it to be really helpful. I think the full year is $80, I might splurge on it. They have an online forum as well, where the creator of the program is active and responds quickly.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: