Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Birth control and antibiotics  (Read 61 times)

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Birth control and antibiotics
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »
My girlfriend started taking birth control pills on 14th January, and got her period after only 24 days on 6th February. The thing is, she had UTI triggered by e.coli at the end of January and was prescribed with 3 antibiotics. 1 for 5 days, then break, then the next after that finally the last one.

She is experiencing lower abdominal pain like before period for more then a week now, but it hasn't started even after 29 days currently and 3 days into "period week". She did have a flu this week, but I don't think it could have influenced it. As I know from previous Googling, women can have premenstrual symptoms and still be pregnant and it is quiet often.

Finally, I have never finished inside her.

Anyway, my concern is that antibiotics caused her pills to be ineffective, and although it is only proved for 1 of them to be ineffective (for tuberculosis) I still wanted to ask you if you had similar situations and is she likely to be pregnant?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Birth control and antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13:04 AM »
It is very unlikely that she is pregnant.  I have been on bc pills for over ten years and if "period week" (the placebo pills) starts on Sunday I usually get my period on Wednesday or Thursday and it lasts for three days or so.  The week prior to my period I sometimes experience bloating and sore breasts but pre-menstrual cramps are not uncommon, especially when your body is adjusting to the new hormonal balance created by the pill.  When starting the pill it can take several months for menstrual cycles to stabilize, again because it takes time for the hormones in the pills to fully regulate your cycle. Whether or not you finish inside her does not matter, sperm cells are found in pre-ejaculate as well.

My husband and I do not want kids...ever...and in 6 years of marriage the pill (taken correctly) has kept me protected despite a healthy sex life.  If you are really worried you can get an OTC pregnancy test but get more than one test and more than one brand!  False positives happen - one of my friends freaked out for two days before discovering it was a false alarm - so don't panic if one comes back positive but the rest are negative.

In the future you may want to consider a second method of protection (condoms, diaphragm, spermicidal foam/jelly, etc) if it will help you rest easier.

Try to relax and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline terriberryfuller

• Rec's: 0
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
i wouldn't worry much
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
Thank you.

You have confirmed what my rational mind is telling me and what my emotions don't want to accept.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
The flu could definitely mess with the cycle.  Even a simple cold can!   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:07 AM »
I've read that it can mess with the cycle only if it happens during the time of ovulation...She got it 2 days before start of the period week and actually there isn't supposed to be ovulation when on pill so that's why I think it doesn't influence.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: