Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Has cognitive therapy helped your GAD (generalized anxiety)?  (Read 256 times)

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has cognitive therapy helped your GAD (generalized anxiety)?
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:32:38 PM »
I'm starting to see a counselor who uses cognitive therapy.  I mostly have GAD, generalized anxiety.
I'm interested to hear from anyone with GAD who been treated with CBT to see what their experience was.

I'm also looking at seeing a doctor who can prescribe meds.  Wonder if I should do both at the same time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has cognitive therapy helped your GAD (generalized anxiety)?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »
It depends on what you take out of the therapy. It works great for some people. Those who really believe in it. As the therapist will be asking you to change how you think and how you see things. Not everybody can do this straight off. So some give up on it. They rubbish it before they really give it time. I believe in it. It has worked well for me. Considering I spend 10 years in the house and these days I am out and about living a life. If you want it to work for you, you will try what you are asked to try and you won't give up on it. So it can depend on the person. What they expect to gain from it and how they use it when asked. It is all about change and I think some people are afraid of change. Change in your outlook on life. So stick with it. Believe in yourself and believe in it and you will get far.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline JTD88

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »
Back when my anxiety first got completely out of control about 4 years ago I did go see one. We only did about 2-3 sessions and then I just told myself "DAMNIT! You are going to improve your life. You are going to force yourself to try new things, see your friends, and just be someone who you completely are not." And telling myself that helped. I know talking to someone who understands it and can talk to you about it helps too. It's worth the shot, and you have to believe in what they talk to you about.

I would go see one now, but my current job really doesn't allow me to do such things with how time consuming it is  :(
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
Cuchulan, thanks for sharing your own experience with CBT.  And congrats on your progress!  I do believe many things can work, so I want to make CBT work for me.  If I don't need to add any meds, that's fine too.

JTD88, it sounds like you were helped by a few sessions of CBT, along with your own strong determination to improve your life.  That's great.  Sometimes that's how I feel.  I just want to grab hold of my life and move it forward.  Whatever it will take.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JTD88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
Cuchulan, thanks for sharing your own experience with CBT.  And congrats on your progress!  I do believe many things can work, so I want to make CBT work for me.  If I don't need to add any meds, that's fine too.

JTD88, it sounds like you were helped by a few sessions of CBT, along with your own strong determination to improve your life.  That's great.  Sometimes that's how I feel.  I just want to grab hold of my life and move it forward.  Whatever it will take.

It was a real wake up moment for me and I just thought to myself "I don't need this, I am strong, I can achieve this goal on my own!"
The last month for myself has been a rough one, my anxiety was getting better, but then I got the flu, then bronchitis, then the sharpest chest pains I have ever felt (from coughing and just basic muscle tension) for the last 2 weeks now. Went to the ER and they found nothing wrong with me, just very strained muscles that need a lot of time to heal on their own.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Faron79

• Rock-n-Roller!
  • Mood: Silly
    Silly
  • Thoughts CANNOT harm you...therefore fear cannot..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »
I HAVE to chime in on this!!! I'm 52, so I've been around a couple of blocks! I USED to think I was "tough enough" and all that bullsh*t. I was slowly getting a little worse though, so it was hard for me to start seeing a CBT-Therapist! A good one will challenge you, and the many erroneous thoughts you have. Together with a year of Zoloft, and "rewiring" my screwed-up thought-patterns and worry-thoughts that many of us fallen into, I'm now a MUCH different person! I've been off Zoloft for a year now, and am overall "cured"!
CBT was tremendous for ME. I'm no longer scared of "thoughts" & "fears about thoughts". Once you learn WHY you think the way you do, most anxiety just withers away. It DOES take some thought-practice, and you will come to certain "realizations" in your recovery journey. I know this may sound corny, but it's TRUE for ME...you CAN become the Master of your own mind again!

It's hard to MENTALLY change...or admit that you need to. >>> I DID <<< though, & so can you.

Faron
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
Faron, thanks for sharing.  I'm starting with a psychologist who only does CBT.  After about a month, I'll see if I'm making progress or if I want to switch over to a shrink who can also prescribe meds.  I'm 55 myself.

Ideally, I'd start with therapy and a shrink together. But my insurance hadn't yet started.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: