Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Depression/Anxiety and Exercising  (Read 292 times)

Offline SanFranGiants

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Depression/Anxiety and Exercising
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
I always keep hearing about how much exercising does for depression and anxiety, but for me, getting my heart rate up just zooms up my anxiety 10 times higher than normal. 

Does anyone else have this issue?  I love exercising, and it usually does calm me down when not in a depressive/anxious state.  But now the "runner's high" just brings my anxiety levels to panic inducing situations due to increased heart rare
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Depression/Anxiety and Exercising
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
Are you feeling as if you're going to kill over?

I have the same type of anxiety that way like I'm going to get a heart attack when I'm being very vigorious cardio-wise.

It's common to think that an increased heart rate would trigger and release the same signals from the brain as if fight or flight was kicking in, and I can see where that increases our anxiety.

There are far more exercises that can release the stress and tension that anxiety causes and gives you a more.... open mind to things per se.

If you're an avid runner, you've gotta keep in mind that you're not going to kill over, and if anything were to happen (you passing out) you've got a bunch of people around you (in a gym) that would be there to help you.

I mean I don't know if you're running outside or indoors at a gym, but if you're at a gym, increase your speed until you start to feel the panic and on the treadmill or eliptical or whatever you're on almost EVERY machine is equipped with a heart rate monitor. Count your pulse... if you get high and uncomfortable, slow yourself down until you're in a target area and kick it up again... If you do it a few times you'll be able to do it 100 times.

I always rely on that heart rate monitor to physically convince myself that my heart isn't at a 200+ pulse. when in all reality it's at like 150-160.

Just take some breaks to cool your senses and hit it again, I know it's hard to be running, and stop running and then trying to start up again, but if you're trying to run a few miles with the entire mindset of increased anxiety, you're not going to perform as well and your body is going to try and counter-act what you're doing.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
Hey.  Did you ever try less intense exercise like walking or yoga?  Still exercising but not triggering the panic feeling.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:56:47 PM »
I agree that doing gentle exercise is best.  Walking over running.  I personally wouldn't hit the weight lifting so much.
I'm doing an aerobic DVD called Rockin Body which seems to work for me.  It relaxes me, does not stress me.
Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
Try doing resistance training, including circuit training.

Aerobic activity, for me, just makes me feel like I am going to keel over, so maybe lifting weights would be benefits to you. Also, since it's not a consistent energy expender (Like how running is constant), you have time to rest and feel your heart rate go down).

Building muscle also helps with confidence. Well, for me it has given me confidence.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »
I would say +2 to lifting weights.

Also to lose weight you don't have to exercise as vigorously as you would for cardiovascular health.
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Online e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
Slow and steady exercise is good, just be consistent.  Exercise is a great way to promote the growth of neurons in the brain which can help you manage depression and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: