Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Costochondritis and Positive ANA Panel?  (Read 363 times)

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Costochondritis and Positive ANA Panel?
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
I have been posting on here a lot lately. I am worried most about heart attack and my chest pain. Even though I have been diagnosed with costochondritis I still couldn't get it in my head it wasn't heart related. Well my doctor has been doing test after test just to show me there is nothing wrong with me and she did an ANA panel that came back positive. When she sent more blood work I had a 1:80 when it should have been 0:0-1:39 It's considered on the low end but even still the low end is 1:40-1:80 so I'm on the higher low end. I wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them and can the inflammation of costochondritis show up on an ana panel? I am terrified to think I might have Lupus or any other autoimmune disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Emski1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Costochondritis and Positive ANA Panel?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Hi i cannot help you with the ana panel but i have got costochondritis and its scary i even had palps that hurt because my muscles are so sore and i am suffering with anxiety really bad at momemt sorry if this is not much help!x

Bookmark and Share

Offline Brittney

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Hi, my Ana panel came back positive to as well as my platelet count being low. I was seen at our cancer center here in Kentucky, and was told the Ana panel isn't all that explanatory. It usually means things like arthritis or other things that can't be "healed" per say. I wouldn't worry about that too much. Anti inflammatory meds might help whatever the problem is if you take them on a regular basis. I get costochondritis pretty regularly because I'm a smoker. It is no fun!! Uncomfortable but not life threatening thank goodness! I worry about my heart constantly so I understand your fear :/

Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
I also have chest pain, and, while my ANA was negative, my rheumatoid factor was high. My doctor said there can definitely be a correlation because all those tests are inflammation-related, so I've been wondering the same thing. I have a rheumatology appointment in 3 weeks, so if I learn anything more about those test results, I'll be happy to pass it along (and I hope you'll do the same!).
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »
If you read the Mayo Clinic definition of the ANA testing it states that it is not conclusive to any one thing. If you have any inflammation it can be off what is the normal charts.
I have had fibro and costochondritis for quite some time. It is not an easy health issue to live with and you do go to the place where you think it is your heart but use a heating pad and perhaps some ibuprofen or magnesium and take and epsom salts bath and it should help some. (This is what I was told to do and it has helped). The main thing they have told me to do which is hard for me is to relax.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: