Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Pain under lower left rib...spleen?  (Read 205 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pain under lower left rib...spleen?
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem before.  This started in mid-January (around the time of my back and abdominal pain).  I was at work and out of nowhere I got a sudden sharp pain under my left rib.  I looked up what was there and the only thing that came up was the spleen.  Now, I have not had that same sharp pain ever since, but I am having a recurring pain in the same spot.  I am a little worried because what if this has something to do with my spleen or pancreas.  I want to mention that I kept thinking that I was running a low grade fever and every time I would take my temperature, it would be 95.3-97.0 (my body temperature has always been that low).

However, I have the feeling of internal warmth, yet no fever.  I am freaking out because I worry that it's leukemia, or something to do with my pancreas.  I did find a bruise a few weeks ago, but that disappeared and I haven't seen a bruise anywhere since.  It almost feels fuller on the left side versus the right side.  My appetite has gotten better, but what will happen is I will get these feelings of illness in waves.  I will feel cruddy for awhile, and then feel fine the next.  This has been going on for about 2 months now on and off.  The pain under my ribs pretty much stays in one spot, but occasionally travels upward.  Sorry this is long, but I didn't want to leave anything out. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
Re: Pain under lower left rib...spleen?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
I have had pain under my left rib cage for six years now and there seems to be no reason. Dr says ibs. I researched ibs boards and its very common. I guess it's called splenic fixture syndrome. It's where your colon bends and gas gets trapped causing pain. I had all the work up done. Upper endo, ultrasound, blood work, ct scan.... Upper gi. So I guess I'll leave it at that. A dr can feel if you spleen is enlarged by a physical examination, according to all the drs there isn't much in that area. Just a thought.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
It sounds like GERD or IBS.  Both can cause the exact feelings you're describing and both are linked with anxiety.  I've had the exact same pain and that's what it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
The pain has gotten a little better since it started...it's at least not as painful, but still uncomfortable.  I didn't know that your colon was near that spot...I thought that it was just your spleen and pancreas that were on the left side.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: