Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: HIV or outlandish conclusion?  (Read 192 times)

Offline Karloff29

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
HIV or outlandish conclusion?
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »
So, I have been dealing with a certain fear for quite some time now. About a year and a half ago, I was camping with some friends and I got a cut on my toe from the river. Well, my one friend received a nasty gash on his hand from a rock and was bleeding pretty bad. He needed help, so I took a water bottle and poured some water over his hand in attempt to clean the wound. Well, when I did that, the water of course ran off his hand and hit the ground. However, my fear is that some of that water (which could potentially have blood in it) could have hit the ground and splashed on my toe which had the cut on it. Granted I wasn't letting the water fall off of his hand right ONTO my foot, but if he (by some chance) had HIV/AIDS, and some of that water splashed onto my foot, could I be at risk? The only way that any water would get on my foot would be if some hit the ground and splashed in or a little splashed off of his hand when I was pouring the water on it. Could someone please tell me if I'm making this bigger than it needs to be? Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 96
    • Poke This Member
Re: HIV or outlandish conclusion?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »
I would say yes, you are making a bigger deal of this than you need to. Never mind that the scenario you're describing would not necessarily have led to any kind of transmission of blood, your friend would have to be HIV-positive. Is your friend HIV-positive? Surely that's something you would know. I don't know where you live or where your friend is from, but incidences of HIV infection are really quite low in the western world.

The simplest solution of course is that you go get tested for HIV. It's a very simple, fast and cheap test. That won't address your habit of why you default to this kind of worst case scenario thinking, but it will prove definitively that you're HIV negative.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HIV or outlandish conclusion?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
Your fine! The chances of his blood coming into contact with you is near on impossible.
Even if he was HIV positive your chances of contracting it through that are still near on impossible.
However if your worrying yourself about it then get a test done, it's free and you get the results fast.
Don't worry, your fiiiine :) xx
Bookmark and Share

Tags: