Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of medical procedures-am I alone?  (Read 306 times)

Offline danigrace28

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of medical procedures-am I alone?
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »
Hi there!
I have had HA for more years than I can count. I used to be a frequent doctor goer. But over the years, my fears have made it hard for me to seek medical advice. I still go for colds that linger and such, but for "real" issues, I am too afraid. My biggest fear is of medical procedures! I am terrified of all of them. I find them to be torturous and scary. Am I alone on this? I read these boards and see others talk about all of these horrible procedures they have endured only to find out nothing was wrong, so why go through them?
I have denied so many procedures...anything with contrast freaks me out! I am terrified of urologists, GI doc's, ENT's ect. Pretty much any doctor that would ask for a medical procedure that sounds like torture.
My latest anxiety (and yes, one always replaces the last sadly) is I have had a painless lump for over 6 months now, that my GYN says is a small hemorrhoid. But I am so aware of it, and it has caused me to constantly "clench" down there, which subsequently has caused a constant ache in my tailbone region. Which of course means it is cancer. But I am far to afraid to go to the GI doctor to be reassured.
I need help!! My brain has gone into overload, I just know I am creating more and more symptoms over this.
There has to be help for this. Why can't this stupid lump just go away already! And if it finally does, then what...I just know I will focus too much on something new. Something that will trigger more fear and I will imagine all of these horrible medical testings that they will want to do  :traurig001:

Bookmark and Share
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Matthew 11: 28-31

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of medical procedures-am I alone?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »
I am the opposite of you as I have had many tests. I really don't mind them, if the doctor said they
are necessary. I have had so many, that my fingers would get tired typing them all. I work with a woman
who is 61, and she hates any test also.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online terri

• Rec's: 0
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
yup - i am right there with you, seriously!

i fear it so much that i haven't been to a doctor for ANYTHING in well over two years now. i had my gallbladder removed seven years ago, and that was the last thing i ever sought medical attention for. the surgery was a breeze and i had little side effects afterwards. but somewhere along the lines, i started to get HA and then began fearing doctor's news. i always fear they're going to tell me i have something seriously wrong with me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
I fear that too!  Never had any (except an endoscopy only because I had a pain in my stomach every day for 13 months and I couldn't deal with it anymore) - btw?  The pain left the moment they told me nothing was wrong and it never came back!
I think, "OK if I go to a doctor and he suggests a test I will totally FREAK out that something is wrong or why else would he suggest a test?"
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »
I am actually the opposite onto a certain extent though.  Like I will have whatever x-ray or non-invasive procedure they can do if it will help me.  However, if it's something invasive, I would be a little hesitant.  I have gone to countless doctors about my problems and I have to wonder if they are just getting tired of me running to them all the time.

But, I haven't gone to the doctors for something in about 9 or 10 months.  I too worry that if I go, they will find something seriously wrong with me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danigrace28

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
I know this sounds weird but I am more afraid of medical procedures than I am of the diagnosis. Any kind of scoping scares me to death.
Bookmark and Share
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Matthew 11: 28-31

Offline zelda11

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
I am terrified of anything medical.  I can barely function today because I have an appointment in two hours.  I made the appointment because I am FORCED to see a cardiologist yearly due to heart failure.  That diagnosis hit me like a ton of bricks.  Now I'm terrified of any tests because I'm sure there will be something dreadfully wrong with me.  So I avoid doctors. 

Anyway, back to today's appointment - whenever I see my cardio, she badgers me about not having a primary care physician.  So I finally decided to just make an appointment and at least I have one.  I know I will turn down all the recommended screenings and procedures.  No way will I get a mammogram or colonoscopy.  But I am terrified that the blood work will show kidney failure or liver failure or any other organ failure just like my heart failed. 

I hate living like this and I feel like a freak.

Zelda11
Bookmark and Share

Tags: