Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: HA + fearing going to dr = me.  (Read 491 times)

Offline terri

• Rec's: 3
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
Re: HA + fearing going to dr = me.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
 :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reallyworried93

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
You see I'm the opposite I go to often!
:( sometimes I get worried that there gonna end up palming real symptoms off as anxiety!
I get to obsessive about 'symptoms' to the point where I HAVE to go for some reassurance otherwise I end up with constant panic attacks!
I'm the same as you, I give advise but never take my own! Xx
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
I wish I was that way!
I go so often that i have a doctor in every field. Great PCP, Obgyn, Endocronologist, Gastro, Neurologist, ENT, Dentist, Oral Surgeon....etc.
My cell phone is hilarious. I have a huge list of doctors and everyone thinks I'm deathly ill when they scroll through my phone.
Nope- just always there for reassurance. Its sick!

And all of their nurse assistants hate me since I call and ask for everything to be explained in detail after the appointments. haha.  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
I am the same way.  If I have a pain of some kind for more than a day or so, I'm on the phone making an appt.   I also then second guess what the doctor thinks afterwards. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline crikee57

• Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
As you know, I also fear going to the doctor and going is pretty much a recipe for me to have a panic attack.  However, here are some of the things I have found helpful.

1. Choose a doctor who understands anxiety but always checks the physical first before assuming any symptoms are just anxiety.
2. Find a doctor you can trust and like.  Once you are comfortable with your doctor it does become a tiny bit easier.  I have cried in front of mine due to the anxiety being so high when I went.  She understood and calmed me.  I think that experience alone made me know she was on my side.
3. Remember that you can have a panic attack there.  No one will judge you and no one is gonna lock you up.  1 in 4 women have panic or anxiety issues these days.  The doctor has seen it before.  (if not, then they aren't the right doctor for you anyway)
4. Ask that your vitals (i.e. blood pressure) is taken at the end of the appointment and not the second you get into the room.  A high reading from panic at the beginning of the appointment will make things worse for the rest of the appointment.
5. If you can have someone there with you, do that. However, make sure it is someone familiar with your panic and anxiety.  The last thing you need is someone who without knowing says something that can set you off even more.  I learned this lesson the hard way. If you can't have someone there, have someone you can call or text available so you know you have someone you can talk to and distract and calm down.
6. Arrive as close to your appointment time as possible.  Getting there early and waiting a longer time will only increase the time to worry and speculate and thus your anxiety.
7. Keep reminding yourself that our fears aren't based in reality and that we imagine the worst.  Just because we fear a certain thing does not mean it is real or going to happen.

Hope this helps. 
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags: