Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: so......anyone else?  (Read 287 times)

Offline terri

• Rec's: 0
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
so......anyone else?
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
i have the DUMBEST [in my opinion] fears.... here are a few. maybe someone else can relate and/or has gone through some of these and has overcome them, giving me some advice:

1.  fear of fainting during a panic attack. i am deathly afraid of this.
2.  fear of diabetes and sugar dropping when i am out in public.
3.  fear of red lights [and traffic]
4.  fear of my house burning down, or something electrical going wrong when i am out.
5.  fear of having a nervous breakdown
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worry2Much

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: so......anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:21 AM »
I suffer from HA mostly but do have other fears non health related.

A house fire is one. Have always feared car accidents and always on edge in traffic more so when I am not the driver.

Your not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »
I suffer from HA mostly but do have other fears non health related.

A house fire is one. Have always feared car accidents and always on edge in traffic more so when I am not the driver.

Your not alone.

makes sense
Bookmark and Share

Offline Graceski8

• Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
  • Agoraphobic
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:59:45 AM »
You're not alone there!

1. I have fear of fainting too, but I know a panic attack will not cause me to pass out. It's extremely unlikely you will pass out during a panic attack because fainting is due to a sudden drop in blood pressure, panic attacks raise your blood pressure. I take all the precautions to prevent fainting like keeping well hydrated, carrying water round with me, carrying something sugary, etc.

2. I used to be afraid I had diabetes, I got a blood test done and don't have it. now I've ruled it out I feel better. But I do worry about blood sugar still and have to carry around a biscuit or something everywhere i go 'just incase' my blood sugar is too low and I pass out. But I don't have diabetes...

3. It's not the same but when I stop at a red light I freak out because there's no where to go and same with traffic I feel trapped

4. fear of house burning down, I had that as a child but it faded over time and developed other fears instead!

5. can't relate to that one

I don't think your fears are dumb. I know it feels very real to the person with the anxiety and very scary.

Bookmark and Share

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »
1. Passing out sucks, but it's usually very brief and preventable! I worry about passing out a lot because I have before, I have low blood pressure, and my blood sugar is usually really out of whack. Eating consistently throughout the day and drinking water are great ways to prevent fainting. If you're panicking, I think you're more than likely to hyperventilate than pass out, and hyperventilation can be treated by simply breathing into a paper bag (or breathing through pursed lips, breathing into cupped hands, trying to breath by filling up your belly rather than your chest, etc.).

2. Diabetes is a big fear of mine! Usually it flares up when my fingers or toes start to tingle, and because I keep thinking about them tingling, they keep tingling, and it turns into a vicious cycle. It's basically always a pinched nerve. I like to have something with me to eat or drink when I'm out though, just in case my blood sugar does drop (since, again, it's super out of whack).

3. Red lights don't bother me, but I get nervous in heavy traffic. I start to feel really stuck and stranded. What helps is thinking about things like, "Well, there's a shoulder, so if I need help I can get it," or, "I've got my cellphone, so if I need to call someone, I can."

4. I'm really afraid of this, too. Just the other day my washing machine smelled strange, and when I called my mom and told her about it, almost the first thing she said was, "You're not going to have an electrical fire." Part of it for me is that I used to live in an apartment building with extremely sensitive fire alarms. I made toast once -- didn't even burn it -- and the stupid thing went off. Needless to say, it was the same for everyone else in the building, so fire alarms were going off virtually every day. Though, in the six months I lived there, there was never actually a real fire, so I suppose there's that!

5. I'm not really afraid of nervous breakdowns, so I can't really relate. :( If it helps any, I've had some pretty spectacular ones, but I usually bounce back just fine after some R&R?
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 03:55:20 AM »
i have the DUMBEST [in my opinion] fears.... here are a few. maybe someone else can relate and/or has gone through some of these and has overcome them, giving me some advice:

1.  fear of fainting during a panic attack. i am deathly afraid of this.
2.  fear of diabetes and sugar dropping when i am out in public.
3.  fear of red lights [and traffic]
4.  fear of my house burning down, or something electrical going wrong when i am out.
5.  fear of having a nervous breakdown

I've always wondered if it was possible to faint during a panic attack - it hasn't happened yet, but I've had many moments where it felt very possible.

Not so much a fear of diabetes, but more of a fear of getting a blistering migraine headache or severe anxiety. I keep a small med kit with me when I go out just for this reason. It has my medication for migraines and some iChill, which is basically liquid melatonin and vitamins and is effective in calming me down rapidly.

Red lights are a definite irritation, I have found myself getting worked up at them much more than in my pre-anxiety days.

I've worried about the house burning down, break ins, etc before, but not here lately.

I've given thought to nervous breakdowns but actively do everything I can to manage my stress levels. Granted, with the uncertainty of anxiety, nothing is predictable. I'm sure a random unexpected event, such as a tire blowing out, could send my stress to unusally high levels.

Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
i just wish i was one of those people that could go to the doctor, get a few panel of tests done, and rule things out. instead, i am scared of going to the doctors because i fear what they're going to tell me. i know some people think that is just weird, but it is so much easier said than done for me
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Meh, I've had just about every test that could be run in the past year and still occasionally worry about my health, and my general anxiety hasn't gone away. It did take away a bunch of money though  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »
i just wish i was one of those people that could go to the doctor, get a few panel of tests done, and rule things out. instead, i am scared of going to the doctors because i fear what they're going to tell me. i know some people think that is just weird, but it is so much easier said than done for me

I'm the same way!  I just worry and worry until the thing resolves itself (I figure if it doesn't get WORSE it's nothing bad)
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything