Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: TMJ Relief?  (Read 179 times)

Online playmaker093

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
TMJ Relief?
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »
My dentist told me I grinded my teeth and could have TMJ around six months ago, and gave me a night guard.  I wear it every night, but I still have some days were my TMJ feels awful.  My neck will hurt super bad, I'll feel stiff, and it my head just aches.  How can I get some relief, I'll pop some Ibuprofen or Tylenol but it never seems to work too much, which makes me feel like it's not TMJ, that it really is a brain tumor or something. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
Re: TMJ Relief?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
it's TMJ if that is what the doctor told you, not a brain tumor. i know my cousin has TMJ and she says that it is painful from time to time. but i do hope you get some relief. just try and keep in mind that relief doesn't happen over night with things like this.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:03 AM »
I've had tmj for, literally, decades. When mine flares I put moist heat on it (like a hot, damp washcloth). Moist heat helps relax the muscles around the tmj. Are you clenching your teeth during the day? That can definitely add to the discomfort. Also remember that, if you have tmj, the muscles around it can be in spasm. Try and put heat on your neck as well. When my tmj is really bad, I feel it all the way into my shoulders. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline notdyingtoday

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • not dying today, check again tomorrow
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
TMJ can definitely be scary stuff, but it's not a brain tumor either.  :yes:

What I do:
- I got one of those microwave heating bags (mine's in the shape of a sheep), which tends to be kind of damp when I microwave it. So I hold that to my jaw (lasts longer than a washcloth), or even fall asleep resting my head on it (though you do need to make sure it's not too warm if you're going to do that). It helps more than anything else.
- Set a jaw-stretch timer to go off every fifteen or ten minutes. It can be a little annoying, but if it's just a pop-up on your computer or a quiet buzz from your phone it's not too bad. Every time it goes off, stretch your jaw open, let it hang loose, and gently move it from side to side. Every time you catch yourself holding your mouth closed, open it a little. My mouth gets kind of dry, but then I just drink more water, which is a good thing.
- Get someone to massage your shoulders/neck. My flatmate usually does it for me, but getting a professional to do it (especially if they're familiar with TMJ) can be a huge relief.
- Dilute a natural muscle rub in some lotion and then rub a little bit around the hinge of your jaw.
Bookmark and Share
"Nothing’s lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we’ve left behind and dreaming ahead. At least I think that’s so."

Offline Lynxana

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »
I have TMD and my dentist prescribed me Ib.  He said that anti-inflammitories have to build in the system to be effective.  When mine flairs up I take it every 4 hours and it goes away.  Usually it goes away for awhile.  Essentially it is inflammation in the temporomandibular  joint.  Anti-inflammitories are very effective with this if they are allowed to build.  Try that and see if it helps you.  Use the heat method while your waiting for the build. 
Bookmark and Share
I don't have issues...! I have the WHOLE subscription!

Online playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
You talked about spasms.. I get spasms in my temples and neck/throat all the time. Is that related?  I still assumed that was my impending brain tumor/ms haha
Bookmark and Share

Tags: