Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Opinions plz  (Read 344 times)

Offline Momee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Opinions plz
« on: March 04, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »
Hi all,

I'll try my best to condense here. I am 32 yrs old, female. Been on Effexor XR for about 12 yrs for anxiety on and off up and down doses...... I had been on 150mg for a while doing great, and again I don't know why but I was doing GREAT so I decided to cut down to 75mg (stupid since I go back to horrible anxiety when I do this)....6 weeks of 75mg and I was triggered and set off....went back up to 150mg and I have been back on it for 7.5 weeks now. I have improved significantly from them until now (not fuctioning, couldn't take care of kids, couldn't be alone....) to  functioning and everything but still have anxiety (not as strong but enough to affect me), sad, crying.......
Dr thinks I should go up to 225mg and that should help get back to normal......has the 150mg been given fair amount of time?.....I really thought just hoping back up to 150 where I was at would be good. I want myself back but not sure what to do.
Just wondering what you think? Effexor XR has always worked for me, but I have this crazy feeling it won't help me get back to normal again this time.....
Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Opinions plz
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
I had been on 150mg for a while doing great, and again I don't know why but I was doing GREAT so I decided to cut down to 75mg (stupid since I go back to horrible anxiety when I do this)....6 weeks of 75mg and I was triggered and set off.

Antidepressants (AD) work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells in the two hippocampal regions of the brain. This requires a minimum dose to initiate and sustain. Usually you need to take at least 75mg of Effexor XR for this to occur and it seems you needed about twice as much. By dropping below your personal minimum dose neurogenesis may have stopped and started to unravel the changes the med has created producing much the same outcome as stopping the med. One of the consequences is that you may need to now take a higher dose to achieve the previous result, at least more a while. The bottom line on this is that taking more than your brain needs has no deleterious effects, the extra is just eliminated, but taking less can have consequences.

Dr thinks I should go up to 225mg and that should help get back to normal......has the 150mg been given fair amount of time?.

You could give the 150mg another couple of weeks, but I suspect your doctor is right and that you will now need to take 225mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
Thanks for  your reply Insights! I appreciate it. I was also thinking I would probably need the higher dose as we'll, but somehow it automatically makes me feel like I "failed", but I know in the back of my mind that that's not exactly true. Weird that so many things are "normal way in the back of my mind, but I can't get myself to believe them.
A lot of my physical symptoms have reduced quite a bit, but I feel like my thoughts are still all over the place.

Since the medication has been working like it has, it could only get better with the higher dose right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
Also, would the 225 now need a few weeks to actually start to help?

Thanks again
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Since the medication has been working like it has, it could only get better with the higher dose right?

It should do.

Also, would the 225 now need a few weeks to actually start to help?

Increasing the dose can take several weeks, possibly a month or two to kick-in fully. Unfortunately, there is no way of speeding this up.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »
Thanks again for the replies Ian :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jlandd

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
Momee,  I had been on Effexor for around a decade, starting low and for the last five years of it at 150.  Then I hit a weird patch a few years ago where something was not right, it seemed to have lost its benefits.  I had read about the "poop out" factor after that long a time, and decided to wean off it, influenced by a doctor who thought it was a bad idea to be on Effexor that long.  After getting it out of my system and then spending several months trying to find something else when it was clear I needed something, I found a psychiatrist whose opinion was that rather than dropping it when the 150 stopped being effective he would have advised me to increase the dose.  So he got me back on it and gradually went up until in Sept reached his idea of a proper dose, which was 300.  I was I wouldn't say filled with doubt, but I didn't want to be on such a high dose yet had to admit that the symptoms, which had become unbearable, were not going to go away by themselves.

Weeks went by and I was still very divided, because I needed this to work, was afraid it wasn't doing enough and still felt unsure about being on twice what I used to take.  I wasn't feeling better enough. But I committed to this Dr.'s plan because going by my own instincts hadn't worked several times in a row. 

What I'm getting at is that it wasn't until 3 full months after starting 300 that I could tell it was worth it.  I think both being on Effexor for so long and then weaning from it and going back on made the timetable much longer than I was counting on.   It makes a lot of sense to me that 225 may be right for you at this point, given what you've said.  I was also hung up on not going beyond a certain number that represented a pretty big dose to me at the time.  And it follows that after lowering it to 75 for six weeks 150 hasn't fallen back in place the way you expected.  It might after a while longer, or it might be that he's right, that 150 isn't the right amount at this time.

My own personal advice would be to not be too hesitant about a new higher dose if your Dr. feels it will be a good move.  You can always back it off if it effects you adversely.    I would say give his strategy a try and give it as much time as he feels is needed. 

Good luck with this . : )
Bookmark and Share

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »
Jlandd - thank you so much for sharing. I am feeling better about taking the higher dose ( I have been on 300 in the past as well)....

I gave the 150 about 2.5 weeks more, I also tried magnesium glycerate and taurine (which I heard together help, who knows) and I feel like I am basically in the same spot.....so yesterday I got the 225mg and started it...enough of this wasting time crap, I want my real self back. I will update in about a week or so.

Thanks so much again for the replies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
Anxiety is up and irrational thinking is worse too. Only been a few days but starting to worry about having to go thru this again.....feels like a step back, but in the back of my head I know it's not.....can only get better right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
UPDATING - Ok, I must say I am a bit better than the last update. Not going to jump up and down for fear of jinxing it. But my thinking is slowing down and is better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: