Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dental anxiety  (Read 305 times)

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dental anxiety
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
I wasn't going to post this but my anxiety is increasing more and more every day.

Now, mind you, I've had a BUNCH of dental work done over the years.  Everything from extractions to root canals so why I'm so anxious, I have no idea.

I have to go on Thursday and have a deep cleaning done.  I've never had that done before so I'm very nervous about what to expect.  They are only doing one half of my mouth then but I'm also having a tooth built up and a new crown put on at the same visit.  It's going to be a good two hours in the chair.  Sigh.  I chose it that way, though, so I could knock out as much as possible with only one time of numbing me.  (I don't like the shots)

Anyway, my concerns are what to expect.  I know I'll be numb but will it hurt?  I also have two antibiotics that I need to start taking tomorrow and that also worries me.  I don't like taking medications. 

Last time I went to the dentist just for the exam, my blood pressure was 143/84.  That's very high for me but I also was a ball of nerves when they took it.  I have added a bunch of my favorite songs on to my mp3 and they also have tv's overhead to watch while I'm in the chair but that really doesn't soothe me.  I'm still constantly watching what they are doing and listening to what the dentist and assistant are saying to each other. 

I would love to hear from anyone who has had this done before or can just give me some suggestions on how to calm down for this.  Each day that draws closer, I feel my panic getting stronger.  Come Thursday morning, I'll be a wreck.  ::)

Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Online rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dental anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
i've had it done twice-not bad at all.  i didn even need pain pills later in the day-dont worry about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lynxana

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
I've never had that done... Course then again good luck getting me to even an extraction.  Dentists scare me to no end.  I honestly believe you are very brave since you have already experienced all that other stuff.  I wouldn't worry so much.  Not that I'm an expert  :happy0151: but what you're going in for seems a lot simpler than the other things you've been in for.  If you've had the root canal already the crown can't be worse!  Were you out during this though?  I don't think you would feel it...

On the other hand I am an EXPERT on being afraid of medicine!  What antibiotics are they?  Have you had any in the same family before?  I have a strict penicillin only problem.  It's a safe one for me and I was just given amoxicillin. Even though it was in the same family it still took me 5 days to start on them.  Three days later I'm fine zero side effects.  Amoxicillin is stronger than penicillin and has different side effects so of course it freaked me out.   

Bookmark and Share
I don't have issues...! I have the WHOLE subscription!

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »
They prescribed me Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole.  I asked the hygienist if that was correct having two and she said yes.  She said they both do different things.  It's just strange to me that I've had so much dental work done in the past and never had any antibiotics prescribed.  Well, I did take penicillin a week before a root canal once.  I have never been put "out" for any of my dental work except for wisdom teeth extractions.  I'm usually just numbed which always takes several shots to numb me.  ::) 

Anyway, I need to calm my nerves.  Just bad dental experiences has given me such dental anxiety.  I wish I could leap over to Friday and skip Thursday altogether.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Worry2Much

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
I had this done a few months ago and it was really nothing to it. As crazy as it may seem I don't have any anxiety about going to the dentist given how bad I have it with my many HA "diseases".
Your going to be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
I have quite a bad case of dental phobia.  I've never had a deep cleaning but have had plenty of other stuff, like root canals and crowns and gum surgery.  I have very little fear of injections or pain while in the dental chair.  Mostly I am afraid of having all of those things in mouth and choking or gagging as well as being in extremely uncomfortable postion (head lower than feet).  If you are numbed the crown work won't hurt.  Sometimes towards the end of the appt when the novacaine is wearing off it might hurt a bit but by they time the doctor is no longer drilling but it fitting the crown on your tooth.  If it hurts don't be afraid to ask for  more novacaine. 

I almost always take valium the night before and morning of the appt.  I don't think you could get me to the appt without that in my system.  Is that a possibility for you?   I'm like you, I want them to to all they can in one visit, get it over with as soon as possible.   I hope all goes well for you on Thursday.  Oh yeah, for one appt I was prescribed an anti-inflamatory drug and an antibiotic.  Bad me, I took neither (and survived, had no problems). 
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
i have a huge dental fear and always have. probably always will. i know that when i have gone in for a deep cleaning, they don't hand out medicine to calm me down or anything, because nothing horribly painful is done. try and think of it as going in for a deep brushing. you will do fine - and it will be done before you know it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate the encouraging words. 

I have moments where I'm like "I can do this!"  and then the next moment I'm trembling inside.

I actually woke up at 5 a.m. this morning with butterflies swirling in my stomach from nerves.  I just keep focusing on this blasted appt.  I keep thinking of what I'll be doing tomorrow at this time.  Ugh!

I just took one of the antibiotics a short while ago.  That was very hard for me to do.  I reread the instructions and the side effects and now I'm just sitting here focusing on how I feel.  I am crazy!  I have to still take the other one but I'm eating something first. 

I'm just a ball of nerves right now.   ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »
Well, today is the day.  B-;   

I'm definitely anxious but trying very hard to psych myself up.  I had myself convinced this morning that I was going to ask to try nitrous oxide to see if that helped to calm me but I'm going to try to do it on my own.

It's amazing how nervous I feel.  My heart is racing and I have no appetite at all. 

If you knew how much dental work I've had done you would probably laugh at how worked up I am.  I guess as you get older, you get more anxious about things.  I don't know.

My appt is at 11 and I should be done around 1.  I will update when I get home and hopefully have good news.

Thank you for all of your encouragement.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
fam - It is really nothing to worry about pain wise. I had it does last year and I didn't feel a thing.

Like you I ahve had some serious work done. I was born without some of my enamel forming on my molars properly so most of my molars are crowned and root canaled. To me, going to the dentist now is no issue. I can take the pain of the dentist.

Rest assured that if you can take the pain of a crown with the tape they use to secure your gums back then this will be nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »
It is super normal to feel stressed when having a dentist visit coming up, you are not alone who fears it ! Either way, i was on tooth stone removal + cosmetic repair of my right top "2", i didnt know what to expect that much, but it was just fine, im always so worried befor dentist checkup, but its usually ok. :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
I "developed" dental anxiety.  I never had it as a child and I had lots of fillings done.  It's weird that I got to be such a baby when I got older.

My big thing is gagging and getting numb.  I had one time when they didn't get me numb and hit a nerve.  I just went for a cleaning today.  My teeth and gums are healthy, but I have an old amalgam filling they want to replace and it has cracked the tooth.  I'm afraid to have that puppy removed because I remember it being a deep cavity and hurting quite a bit. 

Sounds like you have had a lot more done than I ever have.  You will do fine like a pro.  Let us know!
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dental anxiety (UPDATE)
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
Well, that was fun.

It wasn't too bad but I'm starting to feel pain now that the novocaine/lidocaine is wearing off.  Ugh!

The deep cleaning wasn't too bad.  The shots to numb me were the worst part.  I'm hard to numb so it took about four good shots to finally work. 

I was in the chair for 2 1/2 hours because they had to remove a crown and then build up my tooth and put a temporary one on after my cleaning.  I don't think I'll schedule that much stuff at one time again because my jaw is so tired from being open. (haha)

My jaw is really starting to ache, though.  I got a prescription for 800mg of ibuprofen.  Does that sound high or normal?  I'm wondering if I should pop one now before this numbness totally wears off. 

Thanks again for all of your support.  I appreciate it. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
I never took ibuprofen, so i dont know what is considered high-dosage with it, so i wont be much help i think, but if i compare it with other dosages it seems high-ish
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
I know it does.  I called our local pharmacist to ask her about it and she said it's the maximum dosage and safe to take with the antibiotics I'm currently taking as long as I have food in my stomach.  I broke down last night around 10 p.m. and took one and I think it helped tremendously because I woke up with zero pain.  I don't think I'll need it again so one isn't so bad. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: