Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Enough is enough  (Read 330 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Enough is enough
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
I suffer from severe health and general anxiety and have gotten so many tests done and nothing has come up. I've come to the conclusion I mentally cannot stop worrying about my health or getting stuck somewhere or having some kind of disease, ive gotten over 20 types of blood tests, 17 ekgs, a stress echo, a brain mri, a stomach ct scan, a testicle sonogram, worn a holter monitor, got my thyroid checked, got and eeg, an eye exam, and not one thing has come up, not one....... Not one single f***in thing. So I'm submitting to medication, should I go on the effexor again, I was on it for 6 years but didn't have health anxiety back then just social and it worked great. I cannot put myself and gf and family through this hellish nightmare anymore. I start complaining and worry about every little thing that's going on In my body from morning of night to the point where It's hard for me to let myself breathe naturally. Any suggestions would help. Paxil wasn't really cutting it, it just made me tired and depressed. This is like living through a nightmare.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Enough is enough
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »
should I go on the effexor again, I was on it for 6 years but didn't have health anxiety back then just social and it worked great.

I normally advise against Effexor for anxiety disorders because at the doses typically prescribed for them it is only another SSRI and doesn't really doesn't have any advantages over the others, but has the disadvantage of being the hardest to discontinue. However, given that you've had good results with it in the past, and that you might be less stressed taking it because you've used it before, Effexor might be your best option.

Alternatively, consider Celexa (citalopram), or the SNRIs Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) which is a metabolite of Effexor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:15:27 AM »
I liked the way I felt on citalopram but it caused me such bad chest problems. I mentioned lexapro to my doctor and she said it's the same as citalopram . Idk how I managed to have barely any withdrawal when coming off effexor despite being on it for almost 7 years. I have the pills I just don't know really after what happend when getting on then it made me so nervous the first like 3 days I thought I was gonna have a nervous breakdown, It was horrendous. But at the same time it was unexpected, being anxiety free for so long. So It was a combo of me not knowing anything about startup anxiety, fear of returning symptoms and having to go to work. I looked at the old pill case and realized I only took  it for 3 days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »
So I guess I can just give it a shot idk, sometimes I'm afraid I'm gonna keel over after taking it. All I know is that I need to do something. My gf doesn't even kiss me anymore, my friends are getting tired of me not being able to go anywhere or talk about my health, it's awful. I just like mindlessly walk around the house.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:53:46 AM »
I have the pills I just don't know really after what happend when getting on then it made me so nervous the first like 3 days I thought I was gonna have a nervous breakdown, It was horrendous.

The initial side-effects can become progressively more severe each time you stop and restart antidepressants. The way to minimize this is to start on a low dose and work your way up. You can cut immediate release Effexor tablets in half, but not the slow/sustained/extended release Effexor XR.

sometimes I'm afraid I'm gonna keel over after taking it

No one has ever died from taking one Effexor tablet. There is no reason why you should be the first.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »
Now I'm having involuntary tricep muscle contractions. I got an iv from my cat scan maybe from that? I was really anxious the whole time. Can you post videos on here?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:16 AM »
Now I'm having involuntary tricep muscle contractions. I got an iv from my cat scan maybe from that?

I have no idea, but assuming it is, there is no reason to be alarmed. You need to fight the automatic jumping to panic at every seemingly odd symptom. You would be a good candidate for CBT and similar therapies as they could teach you how to counter such catastrophic thoughts before the mental alarm bells ring so loud that they drown out all reasoning.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
That's a good idea I was seeing a psychologist but he said he didn't wanna talk about my "psychosomatic" symptoms
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
That's a good idea I was seeing a psychologist but he said he didn't wanna talk about my "psychosomatic" symptoms

I would advise seeing a different psychologist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

You need to see one trained in CBT, REBT, or mindfulness therapy with experience with anxiety disorders. Not all psychologists are.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
I have trouble trying to find one, I was seeing. Counseler but as soon as I mentioned depersonilization, she said I google too much, how do you know about that? I feel like no one is sympathetic idk if it's cause I look the way I do or what.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
I have been told that people feel extremely intimidated by me and the way I look and talk which sucks because I feel like if I has softer features id be taken more serious . I'm not trying to act or talk like I'm a badass or anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »
Had*
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
Can't even joke around with my gf now I think she's making me feel worse to be honest.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:33:31 AM »
I have trouble trying to find one, I was seeing. Counseler

'Counselor' can mean anything from a social worker to a PhD in psychology who may or may not have any experience in the cognitive/behavioural/mindfulness therapies. You doctor may be able to recommend a suitable therapist in your area.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: