Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Accepted the diagnosis...so now how do I overcome the physical symptoms?  (Read 239 times)

Offline lauren4329

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After a grueling 3 months dealing with leukemia and lupus fears, a visit to a rheumy who assured me I'm "so healthy that you're boring," I began to finally accept the diagnosis that all my physical pain (body aches and pains ALL OVER and tightness in the chest for days at a time) was really just related to anxiety and stress. I began to feel my life getting back on track and even my pain almost completely faded away. However this past weekend my pain came back as strong as before. For the past week it simply feels like I'm not getting enough breath into my lungs and I can feel my body pains starting to develop again. I know this is all caused by anxiety because the pains and sensations tend to fade when I'm fully distracted, but what I don't understand is how on earth am I ever going to be able to truly overcome this pain? This pain is a tremendous distraction to my school work and I'm afraid I'll have to deal with these episodes of pain for the rest of my life. I gave up on a psychologist after two sessions and while exercise is nice, it only distracts for that brief moment and then the pain is back. How will I ever overcome my anxiety-induced physical symptoms and get my life back on track?????
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephpagan09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
my first line of advice.... RELAX! relax, relax, relax. practice taking deep breaths in and out and do a lot of self talk.

I can relate because I thought I had MS and i would have panic attacks where I would feel muscle weakness and I for sure that I had MS but of course I don't.. and the less emphasis I put on it. The less important it became in my life. You can try to different approaches.. You can try self talk and relax and breath and just taking it easy. Accept what you're going through as it being all apart of your anxiety.. or you can just try not to care about it.. i know that may seem tough.. but you're doctor already said everything was fine its clearly all in your head.. you can use the approach okay i'm in pain now what? and try and get over it.. if that makes sense.. those are methods that have helped me.
Bookmark and Share

Online soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Come up with something that helps you relax.  I breathe in/out and count each breath until I get to 10.  Do a lot of self talk that it's just anxiety.  I pick a phrase that comforts me and repeat it over and over. 

My therapist explained that we need to rewire our brains.  That the anxiety pathways are laid deep.  Sometimes, it will nail you out of the blue but remind yourself that you've overcome this before and can do it again.

Hang in there!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
any good doctor will tell you that anxiety causes physical symptoms. which also means that as long as you have severe anxiety, you will have the physical symptoms. BUT, if it would make you feel any better, i would bring your medical records that state how perfectly fine you are with you, to remind yourself from time to time that its just the anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I appreciate this post right now, because I feel like I'm dealing with the same frustration!

I seem to go through patterns - I'll be fine for a few weeks, and then something will start all the physical symptoms again. I was doing great for the past two weeks, and then my husband left this week for training and the old symptoms started right back up (mostly chest pains). It kind of helps confirm the diagnosis though, so I just have to keep reminding myself that's all that's going on. The more I can convince myself that's what's going on, the sooner I relax and the faster the symptoms go away. Regular exercise and hot baths help too :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline lauren4329

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you all for your replies. I really try to relax and instill self-help methods into my mindset but it's hard sometimes because when my symptoms hit me, they last all day for days or even weeks, making it so hard to concentrate on anything but the pain. I have a lot of exciting things coming up in the next few months of my life and it's impossible for me to look forward to them because I know an anxiety episode could hit at any time and ruin the whole thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
A good thing to do is listen to some kind of meditation or hypnosis, a lot of it is in Ur subconscious. Or go on medicine. I've come to the conclusion I cannot live like this anymore I've gotten so many tests done and have a few more that I need, pinched nerve etc then I'm going on medication. I cannot function at all i have every anxiety there is, sometimes I'm afraid to shave cause I felt faint once while shaving. I've gotten a brain mri, over 20 different types of blood tests, a stomach ct scan, thyroid work, chest ct scan, and eeg, there has not been one hiccup on anything. I do have some kind of pinched nerve tho that's bothering me. Idk about you but I am absolutely miserable and it's taking a toll on me and my family.  Enough is enough.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I try to find an outlet for the physical symptoms. I read scary stories a lot. It helps whe ni can get my anxiety onto a definable, absolute source that cannot hurt me and can be ended at any time.

Others have mentioned other techniques. I don't have tons of those, aisde from learning everything you can about it.

So instead, I'll tell you this: Just keep reminding yourself the symptoms are from anxiety, and it WILL improve. It won't be easy. and it won't be fast. But it will happen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: