Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Post Partum Anxiety  (Read 149 times)

Offline didariok

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Post Partum Anxiety
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here  but not new to GAD. I have been dealing with GAD since my first panic attack around 2010. I went on prozac (40mg) and took Xanax as need and very rarely. Things were really good. So good in fact that when I became pregnant in May 2013 we decided to wean from my meds.

Now that my son is 7 weeks old I am having more anxiety than ever before. I've got myself a counselor to speak with and finally went back to my ob this week to get back on my meds. I know that post partum anxiety can be tough on the average mom let alone someone who already has GAD. Has anyone experienced this?

For the past 3 weeks I've got myself convinced that some pains in my left leg are a blood clot due to my recent c-section. At 2 weeks post partum, I had a doppler done and there was no indication of any clots. The pain went away and now has been back for 3 weeks. Its not even pain but discomfort and probably a pulled muscle but those of us with GAD and HA know how well we can tell that to our brains. At my OB appt this past week I again had them look at my leg and she said there is no indication that I have a clot. I was good for a day and then right back to thinking the same thing.

Just wondering how anyone else has dealt with similar situations. I am just looking forward to my appt with my counselor on Wednesday and my follow up OB appt. As is the case for many, talking to these professionals eases my mind for the day.

Thanks !
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Post Partum Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:32:33 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum . . .I am not a med professional but do some work in health research . . . post partum anxiety is something that you are dealing with in the appropriate manner . . . you are seeing a counselor and following you with your doctor . . . .is this your first child? Sometimes, for those of us with anxiety, changes to our standard comfort zone can be a trigger for increased GAD . . . also, if you are a new Mom and even if you are not, caring for a baby can be tiring despite how much it is enjoyable . . . some of your issues may stem from not getting enough sleep, etc.

Now, I have not dealt with post partum depression or anxiety, but check here as often as you can as I am sure there are others on the forum who have had the experience and can provide you with first hand strategies to supplement those from your doc and counselor . . . and, in any case, just check in and let us know how you are doing ..  .we will do our best to support you and again, thank you for sharing your story with us . . . it makes all of us as a community that much stronger . . . .and if w can help, know that we will . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I have had postpartum depression and anxiety, and the one thing I will say is that if you don't currently have someone to help with the baby, please do what you can to recruit that help, even if it's only once or twice a week.  That was absolutely a lifesaver for me.  If you wish to talk about this further, please PM me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mama00

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »
I had to check that I hadn't written your post because I went through pretty much the same. Except I hadn't had anxiety diagnosed before so I didn't know what it was. It was some if the worst anxiety I have ever experienced and felt very physically real - I was sure I wa dying. Finally my hubby convinced me to try a 6 mo course if Zoloft and it was what pulled me through.  I have had several relapses but they are short lived and I can manage with benzos for a short term.  Take care of yourself. I strongly recommend you take something.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: