Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Maybe I have glaucoma...  (Read 335 times)

Offline stephpagan09

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Maybe I have glaucoma...
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »
When I was 19 I got a really bad contact infection. I went to the eye drs office and it turned out that I had a corneal ulcer. My dr had prescribed me tobradex steroid drops. I went back the next day and those drops had caused my eye pressure to sky rocket. She took me off the drops immediately and performed a visual fields test. Everything came back normal and I hadn't lost any vision. A few months later I was due for my annual eye exam I went and saw a different doctor. My pressures were measured with the eye puff machine and they still high like 23 to 24 range. He performed a glaucoma work up. They looked inside my optic nerve and it looked healthy. They measured my corneas and they looked to be really thick like in the 600 range. They did the visual fields test without lens.. My eyes are really bad like -6 on both eyes so the test wasn't accurate. I went back to the lady dr who originally prescribed me the steroid drops and did a visual field and it came back normal. Last year I moved and saw a different eye doctor and they didn't do any kind of glaucoma check. Now a year later I'm due for another appointment but I scheduled it with the dr who did the glaucoma work up the first time. I'm having really bad anxiety. I'm 22 now and fear of being diagnosed with glaucoma. I have several questions... Why not start treatment now to prevent any damage to my vision? And how fast does vision loss occur could it be possible that going a year without getting my eyes checked for glaucoma cause significant vision loss? My grandmother had glaucoma. But that's the only person in my family. Since my corneas are so thick and it is known that the air puff test gives false readings on eye pressure why don't they just the aplanation tonometry test from the jump? My appointment is in two weeks and I have gone crazy googling stuff. I even did the online visual fields test. I'm going crazy. I have really bad health anxiety and a glaucoma diagnosis would drive me insane. I worry so much it's almost debilitating. And I'm also pregnant right now. I really fear going blind. So any advice input would be really appreciated to give me some peace of mind. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Maybe I have glaucoma...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »
Hey

I totally get where your coming from. I'm 26 and have high pressure in both eyes.

I was put on a set of drops about three months ago, but they weren't strong enough so I'm on a second set too now.

My pressure was 31 and 28 but I don't have glaucoma.

The thing to know is that you can have ocular hyper tension. Which is what I have. And never develop glaucoma.
Glaucoma means that the optic nerve has been damaged and the vision has worsened. When that happens its true that you can't get the vision back.

Ocular hypertension though, means that although the prssure is high. No damage has been done.

It took my optometrist 3 years of high pressure to send me to an ophthalmologist who did about 4 hours worth of tests. I think when we are young and not in the risk categories they are less sure what to do with our situations.

You're in the perfect situation now though. They KNOW you have high pressure AND there's no damage. So they can keep an eye on it and decide what to do with your situation. My opthamologist told me that now they know I have it. Then I will probably never develop glaucoma as they will treat me before it gets to that.

Even the drops have their upside (if you do end up needing to use them). They ACTUALLY make your eyelashes grow longer and thicker. Honestly, it's a side effect :)

There's no need to worry at this point. There's no damage and they're monitoring your situation. It would be much worse if they didn't know about it until you eventually did develop glaucoma in your 50s and the damage is already done. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephpagan09

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that and you have put my mind at ease! Of course me being the worrier that I am, I always fear the worse.
This whole anxiety thing started about 1 and a half ago... of course I was well aware of my high pressures and I had accepted that
but I developed a corneal ulcer from sleeping in my contacts again... i know i'm soooo dumb for doing it. So dumb..
So I had to go to a walk-in clinic to get treated for it.. I told the DR about my condition and she put me on vigamox.. The next day I went back to get my eyes checked and there was still a lot of inflammation so she wanted to put me on steroid drops.. and I'm thinking really?! Like steroid drops are the reason that I have high pressure in the first place. I have had DR's treat my ulcers with ciprofloxacin an antibiotic by itself and it healed perfectly fine.. so she prescribed the drops but I never used them.. Well due to all the inflammation the ulcer scarred my eye and now I have a bit of hazy vision.. I feel like I've had the worst luck with eye doctors except the one that i'll be going to see in a few weeks.. But I was reading that sometimes hazy vision caused by corneal scars sometimes cause visual field loss, which if thats the case I wouldn't mind the loss as long as it wasnt glaucoma.. but again, this is me doing my crazy research online. I'm probably going to talk to my doctor to put me on drops so I can just ease my mind once and for all. I mean we are both in our 20's we are looking at 50+ years more of life.. Eventually the damage will happen! but thank you soo much for responding to my post.. it means the world to me.. lol no one else responded so i thank you for that!! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:49 AM »
Well you're right. Maybe we will get it eventually but I actually feel really good about neither of us getting it to the point where it affects our daily lives.

You want to know why?

My opthamologist is pretty young, maybe late 30s and he has ocular hyper tension too! He didn't know until he went to a conference and had a pressure test.

He has made me feel so much better about the whole thing!

He actually said to me on my first meeting with him 'once we know someone has ocular hypertension (high eye pressure) and when there's no damage to the optic nerve. The chances are that they will never develop glaucoma'

Besides, he was telling me about all of the amazing technology they're working on to improve eye medicine (which he is really interested in because he has the same condition and knows from both a medical and personal point of view) and it sounds really encouraging. :)

I think we're really lucky. 50 years ago this would have been a problem. But they'll probably be able to cure us before we even have a problem in 50 years time. :)

He told me that 30 years ago they made people drink 4 litres of water (about a gallon) in an hour and then tested to see if the pressure went up. Haha. Today they run a whole battery of tests to check the eye of they're concerned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LinnyLoo

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »
Hi :)

I am going through a similar situation, well at least my hubby is. He is 30 & recently went for an eye exam. He has high eye pressure (about 24-26) and his optic nerves are cupped so he is definitely a glaucoma suspect! However, in your case, since you have very thick corneas, your pressures read higher than they actually are. You will probably just be monitored closely and if anything does end up changing, they will catch it and correct it with wither laser surgery or eye drops before your vision is effected.
hugs,
lindsay
Bookmark and Share

Tags: