Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: When to trust the doctors  (Read 533 times)

Online emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When to trust the doctors
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
I have only been to the psychiatrist one time, and my second appointment is on Thursday of this week. I did see a psychologist three times, but I had to cancel my last appointment and she never got back to me, so I don't go anymore.

I don't discuss my anxiety with anyone anymore, so I don't get support besides on here. I have struggled for months, and my family has way too much going on now for me to start bringing up my problems again.

As for self help, I try to clean the house and keep myself busy when I am anxious, which works sometimes. I am in a better place than I was a few months ago, and maybe the Prozac I am on is helping.

However, I don't understand how I can just let this go when I keep having these red flag symptoms. I guess I just have to wait it out, but I'm truly tired of this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 175
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When to trust the doctors
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
I have only been to the psychiatrist one time, and my second appointment is on Thursday of this week. I did see a psychologist three times, but I had to cancel my last appointment and she never got back to me, so I don't go anymore.

OK, good. Discuss everything during your upcoming psych visit. Nothing will sound wacky to a pysch, so go ahead and get it all out in the open. There will be things you can learn from your Doc about how to help yourself. There is also much you can study on your own. Get some anxiety books, IMHO. Use the search feature here on The AZ, as books for anxiety has been a thread many times.

I don't discuss my anxiety with anyone anymore, so I don't get support besides on here. I have struggled for months, and my family has way too much going on now for me to start bringing up my problems again.

Understand. It is tough, sometimes, relaying our anxiety to family members and friends. They can be sympathetic (to a point and even they get weary of it, often), but they can't really 'get it' unless they have struggled, as well. If there comes a time where you feel the opportunity is open to discuss with one family member or a good friend, then you might consider this. Keeping things all bottled up can be frustrating. But, trying to explain our mental health challenges can be exasperating for us, and we can feel some guilt and embarrassment, at times, as well. Tough call, often, on our parts if we want to 'lean' on family and friends, a bit for a little support, here and there. One thing that might be useful is, in your course of getting some informational anxiety material (books, mags, online articles, etc), you can, perhaps, share some of this with a family member to allow them to, hopefully, get a little better grasp on what you might be going through. MANY peeps struggle with anxiety. But for those who do not, there is very little knowledge of anxiety disorders / health anxiety and this lack of understanding might cause them to 'roll their eyes', sometimes....which is very frustrating to us anxiety peeps. Don't expect other people to 'get it'....but what you would like to expect from others is the simple respect that what you are relaying as far as what you are feeling (physically) and thinking is true...you aren't just making stuff up. This IS how you currently feel. And, you simply can't 'snap' out of it....or you would be a snappin' machine:)

As for self help, I try to clean the house and keep myself busy when I am anxious, which works sometimes. I am in a better place than I was a few months ago, and maybe the Prozac I am on is helping.

When there is something big and bad and sinister going on in our bods, distraction really doesn't work to keep the symptoms at bay. A brain tumor could care less if you're cleaning the house or driving or singing in the shower:) Brain tumors aren't 'willy nilly'. Anxiety sure can be, though. It is a wonderful sign that you can get lost in a chore or hobby or a good day, at times.....and this is incredibly common with anxiety issues:)

However, I don't understand how I can just let this go when I keep having these red flag symptoms. I guess I just have to wait it out, but I'm truly tired of this.

Sure, you're tired of it. Nobody wants to have to deal with anxiety. But, ultimately, we HAVE TO if we want to live well alongside our challenges. And, we CAN live so very well despite have HA / ADs:). 'Letting go', so to speak, is a vital part of our healing path. Acceptance is another word to use. Acceptance is never resignation - never. Acceptance isn't a passive measure, really, either. It involves embracing appropriate actions, habits and mindsets and learning how to best get ourselves moving down a viable healing path. At its core, acceptance means NOT fighting 'tooth and nail' against your anxiety (your makeup), but realizing that this stuff is part of you and you'll have to cognizant that there are things you'll have to do to keep it from creating lifeflow interruptions, at times. These techniques and actions can become quite natural and they do not have to always be a painstaking effort. We, often, visualize in our future having to ALWAYS be painfully giving a huge amount of our time and resources in our journey towards lasting solace. Doesn't have to always be that way - at all:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: