Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Started Lexapro  (Read 237 times)

Offline shardeni

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Started Lexapro
« on: March 01, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
I started Lexapro  (10 mg) once a day)today for increased anxiety over the last several weeks.  I have had a dullish headache for the last  few hours. I am thinking it is from the Lexapro. Does anyone agree?  Also does anyone know if Lexapro has a short or long half life?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Started Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
I have had a dullish headache for the last  few hours. I am thinking it is from the Lexapro. Does anyone agree?

Yep, it is a fairly common initial side-effect. Acetaminophen (aka paracetamol) may help. Other common over-the-counter painkillers will too, but they also have anticoagulant properties as do the SSRIs and many other antidepressants, so they are best avoided.

Also does anyone know if Lexapro has a short or long half life?

Longish, typically 27-34 hours. Most of the other SSRIs are around 24 hours or less with only Prozac having a longer half-life at about 7 days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline shardeni

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
Thank you , Ian.  I have a couple more questions.  Is Lexapro best taken in the morning or at night?   Would it be possible to get some relief in a week or so?    And does having a 27-34 hour half life mean that 37 hours after your last dose, you would have none of the drug in your system?  Thanks in advance for your answers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Is Lexapro best taken in the morning or at night?

It doesn't matter. However, SSRIs may trigger insomnia in which case taking it in the morning may help a little. The important thing is to take it at a time when you are unlikely to be distracted and forget to take it. It is very important that they be taken every day. The occasional missed dose is okay, but if it happens regularly there is bound to be a reaction.   

Would it be possible to get some relief in a week or so?

Only through the placebo effect. It typically takes 3-12 weeks for antidepressants to kick-in. They work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells and this takes time. 

And does having a 27-34 hour half life mean that 37 hours after your last dose, you would have none of the drug in your system?

No, it means you'd have a little less than half. It would take 6-7 days to be completely eliminated from your system.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: