Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Video Games & Anxiety?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline CartoonCat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Video Games & Anxiety?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »
I love gaming too, and it was my number one distraction activity for dealing with anxiety, worked like nothing else, until about a year ago, had a breakdown and the anxiety was intolerable, I started avoiding playing games in case they wouldn't calm me down as effectively as they used to, the thought that my foolproof remedy might not help any more was just unbearable, I couldn't risk not having that hope any longer. Makes no sense whatsoever and became a self-fulfilling prophecy, even causing anxiety that didn't exist before.

I was doing some Graded Exposure Therapy for agoraphobia at the time and decided to use it to help with the video game problem too, started taking little steps towards playing again, chose familiar games, or new ones I was really excited about trying, stuff I knew would hold my attention, and began introducing them back into my routine slowly. The first few times I picked days when I was feeling reasonably good, and played 2-player with my partner (who is also my 'safe' person) I tried not to put too much pressure on myself, stayed away from online multiplayer, didn't make any promises to myself about how long I would play for, could stop at any time. For a while I thought it was causing vision problems and various other symptoms, but it did get better, which confirms to me that they were anxiety, and within quite a short ***** of time I was happily gaming again, I don't play as much as I used to, but that's probably a good thing :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Swedishworry

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
Same thing here. I play alot of fps and when i get anxiety and derealization (brain fog) i feel like i cant follow in the game and cant concentrate at all and the game seems to fast. Someone who have had the same?
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »
Same thing here. I play alot of fps and when i get anxiety and derealization (brain fog) i feel like i cant follow in the game and cant concentrate at all and the game seems to fast. Someone who have had the same?

I kind of feel the same way. I feel like rather than thinking about playing the game, my mind is relying on instinct. I don't strategize as much as I can/should, but I do fairly well overall.

At times I'll get that "too fast" feeling, especially when playing a fast-paced FPS game such as Titanfall or certain Call of Duty games. Even when playing GTA V I'd get that weird sensation where I couldn't look at the screen. It happened mostly when driving in the game (I guess there was a lot of visual stimulation). I also would get dizzy when playing Minecraft... Like if I were up in the air (Creative Mode) and would spin the camera to see something in a specific way, I'd get really dizzy.

I hope that this resolves itself. I played Titanfall the other day and I did OK when playing it. I turned it off after 2-3 games because of the lag :/   I also played Halo 4 last weekend with a friend and while I didn't play great (It's hard to transition from Titanfall to Halo!), playing the game in itself didn't truly bother me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Swedishworry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 10:01:12 AM »

I kind of feel the same way. I feel like rather than thinking about playing the game, my mind is relying on instinct. I don't strategize as much as I can/should, but I do fairly well overall.

At times I'll get that "too fast" feeling, especially when playing a fast-paced FPS game such as Titanfall or certain Call of Duty games. Even when playing GTA V I'd get that weird sensation where I couldn't look at the screen. It happened mostly when driving in the game (I guess there was a lot of visual stimulation). I also would get dizzy when playing Minecraft... Like if I were up in the air (Creative Mode) and would spin the camera to see something in a specific way, I'd get really dizzy.

I hope that this resolves itself. I played Titanfall the other day and I did OK when playing it. I turned it off after 2-3 games because of the lag :/   I also played Halo 4 last weekend with a friend and while I didn't play great (It's hard to transition from Titanfall to Halo!), playing the game in itself didn't truly bother me.

Exactly, i spent probably over 4000 hours of playing fps and this thing will pass, i have only feelt this in periods of high anxiety, about 2-3 times in 8 years. The mind is in hyperdrive when you have anxiety so its pretty natural its hard to concentrate on a fast paced video game.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

Exactly, i spent probably over 4000 hours of playing fps and this thing will pass, i have only feelt this in periods of high anxiety, about 2-3 times in 8 years. The mind is in hyperdrive when you have anxiety so its pretty natural its hard to concentrate on a fast paced video game.

I guess that makes sense. Ever since I've started the Strattera relatively recently (A few weeks ago) I've felt alright. Not completely better, but I feel that at times I can last longer and watch the screen. Then again, I've been playing a different game lately (Mario Kart 8) instead of Titanfall or a shooter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Modest

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
I used to be able to game all night. Eventfully after a long marathon of borderlands 2, I stayed up until 8am and tried to go to bed. That game is extremely colorful and fast paced. Needless to say, I couldn't turn that off in my brain and had a panic attack thinking I was going to have a seizure. Ever since then I've been very careful with how much I play. Can't do that anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: