Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Meds??  (Read 118 times)

Offline Jaded173

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Meds??
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Hi everyone.
I have general anxiety and feelings of depression on a day to day basis. I'm visiting the doctors next week to get help and was just wondering what meds everyone finds effective? I'd like to go in armed with some information for my own peace of mind. Thanks xx
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: Meds??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
I really hope u can get to a good psychiatrist for ur treatment. Its a long journey to find what works, don't be afraid to try diff meds and to give them a chance to work b4 moving on. Maybe you will find it sooner than some. What worked for me was small doses of sev...7.5mg remeron, 25mg Zoloft(started at 12.5mg), and .5mg klonopin all once a day. I had to exercise and eat well too, and cognitive behavioral therapy for awhile. I was diagnosed with major depression, gad, and panic. Im doing well now, that was 5 1/2 yrs ago. I just have situational anxiety, and Im off all meds, except now crossing over to valium, to get off of the last bit of klonopin, then I will slowly taper valium. Good luck to u.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Meds??
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
I have general anxiety and feelings of depression on a day to day basis. I'm visiting the doctors next week to get help and was just wondering what meds everyone finds effective? I'd like to go in armed with some information for my own peace of mind. Thanks xx

While it is likely that you do have only GAD and depression, you should still request a full medical, including blood tests, to rule out other possibilities. There are some conditions which can produce similar symptoms.

Assuming your are then diagnosed with GAD and/or depression you will almost certainly be prescribed one of the antidepressants (ADs), probably a SSRI. No antidepressant is intrinsically more effective than the others, though one or two may be for you. The hard part is finding them. You may need to switch antidepressants 2-3 times before you find one that works well.

Celexa (citalopram) or Lexapro (escitalopram), which have the same active drug, would be a good first choice as they are usually the best tolerated of the SSRIs. I would go with Celexa because it has a wider dose range. However, your doctor is better placed to decide which AD might be best for you and may suggest another.

You need to be aware that antidepressants can produce a number of unpleasant symptoms in the first few weeks, including heightened anxiety. Starting on a low dose and ramp it up by the same small amount every 7-10 days until you get to the target dose will limit their severity. Small doses of one of the benzodiazepines (Ativan/Klonopin/Valium/Xanax) can help ease you past the rough spots so ask for a prescription. If your doctor is one of the increasing number of benzophobes then hydroxyzine (Vistaril) is a milder alternative. It is a antihistamine with some anti anxiety properties.

You need to also know that antidepressants can take 3-12 weeks to kick in once you begin taking a therapeutic dose. They work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain to replace those killed by chronic stress hormone exposure which is thought to be the biological basis of these disorders.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: