Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Radiation from 15 chest xrays  (Read 268 times)

Offline NinaNoury

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Radiation from 15 chest xrays
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and new to HA. I have been worrying about this issue and everyone around me is insensitive about it. They just don't understand... But anyway I have been to the hospital E.R multiple times. Each time I went to the E.R well most times they took a few chest xrays. This happened several times. All together I think I've had about 15 chest xrays. Reading about how much radiation a chest xray has, it says about .6 msv. The average American has about 3 msv per year. If each chest xray had .6 wasn't I exposed to several years of radiation all to the chest? I am terrified of getting cancer because of this. I know it takes decades to develop cancer from that but I can't help but to worry...Could someone please tell me how much radiation exposure that was and help me understand that I'll be okay or realistically tell me what will happen? Thankyou.... I appreciate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NinaNoury

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Radiation from 15 chest xrays
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
By the way I am only 18.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
you're at 9 msv.. I've been told by my doctor at university of Colorado that low doses like that over time are safe, and if you are in the range of 0-10 that is low exposure.
I've had 3 studies in short time, one was huge exposure I don't even want to see it in writing/typing or think about it and those are the most dangerous, i.e. large acute exposures.
hope that helps
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kaz_has_had_enough

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
Hi, chest X-rays have one of the lower exposures because the air in your lungs doesn't interrupt the X-ray beams, I bet they asked you to breathe in deeply? :) I work in a veterinary surgery and some of our vets have been taking X-rays for decades, so I dread to think what there exposure has been over the years (sometimes its not possible to fully protect yourself from exposure when holding animal and the rules used to be very relaxed on this!) and they are all perfectly healthy :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline NinaNoury

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Thankyou for your replies. I guess it's just best not to worry about the things we cannot control.. I suppose it's true that others have experienced more radiation without a lot of damage or cancer from it. But I appreciate your time. :) thankyou very much.
Bookmark and Share