Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Unintentional weight loss  (Read 138 times)

Offline Steelers629

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Unintentional weight loss
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:22 AM »
Hi everybody, I'll give some back story to give some perspective.  I'm a 25 YO male, 5'6".

When I was in college I was very overweight, I think 210 at my heaviest when I was 20.  I made a lifestyle change and started to eat healthy and exercise.  I was able to safely get my weight down to about 160 and was content.  Well after college I started to get lazy and not take care of myself as much (about the time my HA started in fact).  I wasn't exercising or eating right.  But during this time I never gained much weight back if any.  I've always maintained a weight of about 157-162, even over the past year when I started running again and working out regularly.

Okay so this year has been kind of a struggle.  I've deal with non-specific back, flank, and abdominal pain on and off for weeks.  A week or two ago I felt so lethargic and fatigued that I stopped exercising and getting through work was a struggle (dairy dept. in grocery store - always on my feet, lifting, etc.).  I was a mess last week because I was also dealing with ear pain that wouldn't go away.  I went to the walk-in clinic and the nurse practicioner looked in my ears and said that she only saw some clear fluid, no infection.  She felt the lymph nodes in my neck and didn't find any swollen (which helped calm my lymphoma fears).

So I actually started to feel pretty good this week.  I had more energy and was not having any back pain.  But I kind of noticed that my clothes were a tad looser than normal.  Weighed myself on Tuesday and was 157.0, so seemed like it was in my head.  Weighed myself again Wednesday (I know you shouldn't keep doing this), was 155.7.  I started to get concerned (of course0 but knew weight could fluctuate daily.  I weighed myself again this morning and was 154.4, so now am officially freaked out. And you might think I'm one who loses my appetite with anxiety but I actually feel hungry all the time, I'm always snacking.  This is just odd to me that at a time when I'm not exercising and eating MORE, I lost a few pounds in 3 days.

Can anxiety and stress really do this to you?  I will note that this week I am way more stressed and anxious than usual.  I'm managing my dept. for the first time while my co-worker is away and have way more responsibility than I normally would.  It's just that every time I start feeling good I find something else to obsess over.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Unintentional weight loss
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
Weight can fluctuate a great deal depending on actual caloric intake versus exertion and burning of calories. Stress and anxiety can work in any number of nasty ways.

To reassure yourself, you might want to check with a doctor make sure all is OK physically. Then try a therapist to help with any psyche factors and ways to help you stay calm. Wishing you all the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
With you eating and being hungry and energetic, there's no way it can be anything bad - the worse something like that could be would be hyperthyroidism.  That's not any big deal.   That or anxiety and stress.   
HOwever... were you eating less PRIOR to last week?  Weight loss and gain has a gap.   Unless one is actually sick (diarrhea, vomiting or eating maybe a few bites one day), you will not lose any weight in one day, it takes a while for the metabolism to catch up, if you were eating less over a week ago this may be the "catch up" game.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Steelers629

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
With you eating and being hungry and energetic, there's no way it can be anything bad - the worse something like that could be would be hyperthyroidism.  That's not any big deal.   That or anxiety and stress.   
HOwever... were you eating less PRIOR to last week?  Weight loss and gain has a gap.   Unless one is actually sick (diarrhea, vomiting or eating maybe a few bites one day), you will not lose any weight in one day, it takes a while for the metabolism to catch up, if you were eating less over a week ago this may be the "catch up" game.

Hmm that's a good point.  The last week and a half is when I really felt like crap.  I can't remember exactly, but it's possible I ate less than I remember.  My (TMI) BMs have been regular and nothing out of the ordinary.  I do not want to rush off to my doc as an overreaction just yet.

It's just strange that it happens at a time when my life was going really well.  I (finally) started seeing a therapist this year and it did wonders.  He even told me point blank that unless I feel the need to come, he saw a positive change in my attitude and overall happiness and that there wasn't much more for me to gain by seeing him.  My HA had been held to a minimum for months then all it took was a swollen lymph node and some back pain and it's come raging back.

I'm going to try my hardest to not weigh myself everyday and see what happens in a week or so.  I'm going to try and exercise and eat like normal but it's going to be in the back of my mind all the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
I lost 25 pounds in one month back in 2002 (25 pounds for me is roughly 20% of my body weight!) due to anxiety and hardly eating ANYTHING!  When I got to 112 I leveled off and started eating practically normal again, in a few days I was 111...  (the slide down the scale kept going), then I stayed at 111 for the longest time it seemed.   THEN it started to gradually pick up.  So give it a little time.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: