Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: question: is it possible to panic/hyperventilate without realizing it?  (Read 187 times)

Offline thesilentdiva

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lately ive been very anxious. Buy the past 2 days have been ok. Today I was dropping my boyfriend off at work. Id never been to this area b4 but I felt calm. I even remember thinking "oh im doing well". So right b4 his job the road opens up from a small residential street into a commercial area...a large clearing. I remarked "wow this came out of nowhere" (meaning the commercial zone. Then ...while driving...my head started spinning. I got super dizzy. I had to pulll over. It subsided in several sec. This also happened a few nights ago while at my boyfriend house. I was watching tv w/ him and the same thing happened. But I was very anxious that night.

My question is: could I have hyperventilated without knowing it? I notice it happened when the scenery changed and became very busy and "wide open". Has this happened to anyone b4? Usually my anx related dizziness is not this severe...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunl8k

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: question: is it possible to panic/hyperventilate without realizing it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:46:27 PM »
I have had this happen a few times. I do notice that I may be calm but my neck is right when it happens. I have to macs my head or run my neck to get the dizziness to stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jaxsonny

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
this happened to me not too long ago. out of the blue while driving i got dizzy and it passed really quick. made me a wreck though for the rest of the day :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »
Hi TSD...

Feeling lightheaded or dizzy, is one of the prime symptoms of anxiety.  It can be caused by hyperventilating, and one can hyperventilate, and not be consciously aware of it.

Lightheadedness is one of my main symptoms.  It can occur at any time, when I least expect it.  However, there are also triggers that cause me to experience it  If I am driving, as long as the car is moving, I am fine.  But if I come to a stop, at a stop sign, traffic light, or going through the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant, panic can come over me, with the lightheadedness.

So yes, you can hyperventilate, and not be aware you are doing it, and many of us do have triggers that can cause panic and lightheadedness.

The very best to you, TSD!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline thesilentdiva

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
Thx yall for your answers. It makes me feel better to unfortunately know there r others that get this. Interestingly I was at home last night when I felt my right ear get "blocked"....put a hot wash rag to my ear and it unblocked. (Gross alert) a large piece of wax came out....maybe it was that too...had a cold not too long ago. Who knows. But im still thinking anxiety like yall said.

Thx again
Bookmark and Share

Tags: breathing