Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Some advice for the anxious mind  (Read 113 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Some advice for the anxious mind
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
Hi, I just wanted to give some advice to anyone who cannot seem to stop their anxious thoughts.  Well, first of all I have GAD so I know how relentless the anxiety can be, but this morning while I was eating breakfast something dawned on me---my thoughts are busy with other things while anxiety is standing by waiting it's turn.  Let me explain...I decided to try my hand at furniture painting, been doing research online about chalk painting.  Well, I try to keep myself on a budget, and chalk paint is rather expensive, so I found a few chalk paint recipes online.  Went to the local Home Depot, bought my supplies, and made a batch of chalk paint.  My husband has a booth at the local Antique Mall, so I thought I'd help him out by putting my Art skills to work, get this furniture painted so he doesn't have to work so hard on the weekend.  So far I've got two coats of bright white on a pretty three drawer vanity table.  I've inherited fabric and lace fabric from my Mom when she passed so I'm going to make a white lace skirt for the table---make it kind of shabby chic! 

Anyway, my advice is, get yourself excited about things; if your mind's space is taken up with other things there won't be room for the anxious thoughts.  Push those thoughts out by thinking on better things!

Seems to be helping me, just wanted to pass that on :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Some advice for the anxious mind
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »
Hi CarrieAnn...  Great post, and you are so right!

I had started on a whole house remodel last year, prior to a return of my anxiety/panic attacks/depression.  Thanks to a change in medication and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), I was able to start back on that project several weeks ago.  It has made such a big difference!  I now wake-up every morning, excited about what I am going to get done today.  It's amazing how a little new paint on a wall, and a new piece of art, can change and brighten one's life.

Staying active in what you love to do, and finding new outlets for your energy, pushes the old anxiety to the back of the bus.

As always, the very, very best to you, CarrieAnn!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Some advice for the anxious mind
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
That's sound advice. Whenever I'm not working my 'real' job, I work on cars on the side, some for hobby, some or cash. Either way, when I'm under the hood wrenching I usually don't feel any anxiety symptoms either.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: