Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Ativan isn't working??  (Read 136 times)

Offline Tiredofbeingsickandtired

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ativan isn't working??
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
So I gave up tapering on Ativan and decided to stay on it until I reach the therapeutic dose of Effexor that I haven't started yet. My problem now is that this morning I took .5mg of Ativan and it did nothing. After an hour, I took another half pill so in total .75mg, and I still feel really anxiety ridden and cant seem to think straight. Its almost as if I feel worse!  Ive only been on Ativan roughly 8 weeks, so I don't know whats happening. Any suggestions on what it could be/what I can do?? I need to be able to function!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ativan isn't working??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
Ive only been on Ativan roughly 8 weeks, so I don't know whats happening. Any suggestions on what it could be/what I can do?? I need to be able to function!

I may be that you've become tolerant to Ativan. It is rare, but it does happen. You need to discuss this with your doctor asap.

And you need to seriously think about taking antidepressants. They are a better option than benzodiazepines.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Tiredofbeingsickandtired

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
Im going to be starting on Effexor as soon as I get the prescription filled.  As far as the Ativan goes, my prescription says to take 1mg twice daily as needed. I take .5 mg 3x/day, because I've been afraid of 1mg making me feel out of it while trying to raise a child.  Would you recommend changing it? I know nothing about benzos and tolerance, but even today I've had 1.5 mg and am still anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
As far as the Ativan goes, my prescription says to take 1mg twice daily as needed. I take .5 mg 3x/day, because I've been afraid of 1mg making me feel out of it while trying to raise a child.

You should be able to tolerate 2 x 1mg, especially given you've already taken more than 1mg today.

I know nothing about benzos and tolerance, but even today I've had 1.5 mg and am still anxious.

It could be tolerance, or maybe your anxiety levels are just much higher than normal for some reason. Too high for the dose you're on to effectively manage. I suggest you take the 2 x 1mg prescribed for a couple of days to see it it makes a difference. If it doesn't then you will need to contact you doctor. I would hold off on the Effexor until you have anxiety back under control as antidepressants may increase anxiety initially.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: