Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mucous or blood in stool?  (Read 495 times)

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mucous or blood in stool?
« on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »
Hi there,
How can I tell the difference between mucous or blood in my stool? I am getting what I think is mucous, but worried that I could be wrong. Would blood be in more of a liquid consistency? Would it be mixed in with the stool? I know it can be pretty much any colour, that's why I am asking about the consistency. The "mucous" I get seem to almost cover the stool as such (sorry tmi), and it's consistency is probably best described as jelly-like.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mucous or blood in stool?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
I never had a problem telling the difference between blood and mucous. Blood can also be mixed with mucous. I would speak with a GI doctor about your problem though. Mucous is very common with ibs and hemorrhoids and not something I am as concerned about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:11:21 AM »
Sometimes the mucus is mixed with light colored poo...  and I think that is what may confuse you. Jelly like would describe mucus.  Is the poo hard?  The hard ones are more likely to be covered in mucus because your colon produces mucus (jelly like) to aid in the passing of stool and if it''s hard it needs more help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
Yes, it is the harder poo's that are covered in mucous, whereas when I pass softer ones, they are not. It is hard to tell the colour, that's why I am worried that blood could be mixed in there. I had a colonoscopy and was told I have some internal haemmorroids, as most women who had had children have. They don't cause me any problems though. I also get white specks, speckled throughout my poo. What could that be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »
white specks just sounds like something undigested.  Like when you eat corn and find kernels in the poop...
My hard poops are covered in mucus many times.  It will go in spurts, for months they'll be covered (even when I wipe there'll be mucus) then for months they'll be "clean") sometimes they even look furry because there is so much mucus :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
I'm not sure if the white specks are undigested food though, they don't look like food in the sense that corn kernels do for example.
Do you ever suffer with abdominal pain too? I have abdominal pain from the same area of my tum daily. It worries me that the pain is in the same place.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
I haven't had white specks but I had tons of black specks every time and I always worried they were blood. But they were also undigested food.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
I'm not sure if the white specks are undigested food though, they don't look like food in the sense that corn kernels do for example.
Do you ever suffer with abdominal pain too? I have abdominal pain from the same area of my tum daily. It worries me that the pain is in the same place.

No, no pain, but I have had GAS rumblings real loud in the same exact place on and off for DAYS! (this was just recently) - the pain could be trapped gas.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
Interesting! I get bubbling in this exact spot too, where I get the pain. I worry that there is an obstruction there and the bubbling and pain is gas trying to get past. I feel the pain there sometimes when I cough or move in a certain position too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »
I would check with a GI physician to be safe and to ease your mind.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »
Interesting! I get bubbling in this exact spot too, where I get the pain. I worry that there is an obstruction there and the bubbling and pain is gas trying to get past. I feel the pain there sometimes when I cough or move in a certain position too.

LOL!!!  I'm laughing because I was just telling my daughter that!  I said, "Suppose there's a tumor there and the air can't get by?"  And she gave me her usual response, rolled her eyes, threw a pillow at me and said, "Get out of here!!"  Anyway that gas finally went away, it hasn't done it for 24 hours now.   If you get the pain when moving in a certain position or coughing, that is more indicative of a muscle.

Just out of curiosity, where was the gas?  Mine was on lower right side between where my leg attaches to my body and my belly button.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
I get it at some stage most days and it's always in the same spot, has been for months. It's on the right side of my tummy, a couple of inches right of my belly button and about an inch higher. Sometimes I just feel pain there when I'm not doing anything, other times I feel it when I cough or stretch or something. The bubbling is always in that spot too. I can't help but think that's indicative of an obstruction, even though the colonoscopy and small intestine barium x-ray were clear.
How long have you been getting pain and bubbling? Does it happen at any particular time of day or after eating?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
No pain, only bubbling and it seems to happen after I drink a glass of water for some reason.  It didn't happen for 24 hours, then it was happening yesterday on and off and today so far, nothing, but all I had was coffee and a pastry.
If you had a colonoscopy then you are fine!  Actually I never heard of a blockage presenting with just bubbling or pain - and it's ACTUALLY a gut that is "quiet" that is a concern (like if a doctor listens and can't hear bowel sounds).   I just remembered that!  So maybe the noisier the better! LOL!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 07:21:08 AM »
Oh really? I thought noisy = bad? Ugh, so many symptoms to deal with, I need them gone!
P.s just getting used to new phone, I think I just clicked on `report to moderator ` by accident on your last post....sorry :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
Oh I'm sure they'll read that post and realize you just made a mistake, nothing was bad in it... 
But I recall reading things (when I did google, I stopped for a few weeks already) but in my heyday of googling I read about absent bowel sounds means nothing is moving through the intestines.  COULD be constipation, but I would think if nothing is moving it would be more of a concern than moving a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: