Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sleep and Daily Life  (Read 157 times)

Offline AudreyNicolle

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • :P xoxo
    • Poke This Member
Sleep and Daily Life
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:57:37 AM »
I am on my 3rd week of 10 mgs of Lexapro at night. It makes me sleepy and I fall asleep fast, but I wake up after about 5 hours of sleep. Then I can't fall back asleep. I know coffee is bad for anxiety but I don't know how else ill function through the day. I have a doctors appointment Friday afternoon. I am wondering if I should ask him about something for sleep.

Also I know I really need another full week to get the full effects of the lexapro but I wonder if I should ask him if there is something I can take during the day to help with my anxiety attacks. They seem to come out of nowhere with no triggers (that I can see anyway). It's really hard for me to focus at school and I am really close to being done and I don't want to ruin the school progress I've made because of daily anxiety and panic attacks (101 average! Go me! Lol)

Anyway what has worked for those of you in a similar situation?
Bookmark and Share
:) AudreyNicolle

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sleep and Daily Life
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Hi A:)

I struggled mightily in college with panic attacks. It is tough maintaining studies when you feel you're gonna croak from a heart attack or wig out in class....I know:) But, we don't die from panic attacks....never do - never will. Way back when, I took Klonopin, for a period, to help with the panic attacks....after not being able to keep things under control by myself. This was about 30 years ago or so and I'm still here:) And, I've had the panic attacks under control for many, many years.....but I still struggle, to my own extents, with Health Anxiety. Anxiety does not dominate me, though, anymore....which is wonderful. Learning how to live with anxiety / panic can be a bumpy road. But, this is exactly what we have to do....we have to learn how to accept it, embrace the things that can help, learn to manage it, learn how to live so very well despite it:)

It's tough giving medicine advise....everyone reacts differently and has their own viewpoints. But, there are some meds that might help with the panic portion (panic attacks) in addition to your Lexpro. I'm not advocating them, but they have help peeps. Also, for the longer-term management of panic, there are many techniques, actions, habits and mindsets that can become a natural part of your overall healing path. If meds are involved, I would view them as a shorter-term 'necessity', perhaps, IMHO, and strive to, eventually, move away from meds and use the other techniques and actions and mindsets that have been shown to help drive a viable, lasting healing path. Just my two cents:)

Do you see a professional for your anxiety? Who prescribes your Lexapro? Have you read any anxiety books? Do you exercise? Do you have any other anti-anxiety techniques?

How old are you?

There is definitely help for anxiety / panic issues. Don't despair. It can be tough sleddin', but there is a healing path for us:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AndyDroid

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
Hi! Were you assigned Lexapro for just Anxiety or Anxiety + Depression? My doctor assigned me Clonazepam (Klonopin) for anxiety and Lexapro which is supposed to treat both anxiety and depression but while I've made some improvement in anxiety, my depression has gotten way worse. My Lexapro is 20mg and I take it in the morning, and I usually get sleepy after awhile but I wasn't sure if it was my medication causing it or not. It is hard to say, medications affect everyone differently. Make sure you are not drinking caffeine before you go to bed because that could cause you to wake up sooner than you want to. Talk to your doctor more about your anxiety attacks, mention when you're most vulnerable and how often they happen. As for sleeping, do medications like benadryl make you drowsy? I take tylenol PM as a sleep aid when I need it. It combines Acetaminophin (which is the main ingredient for Tylenol), and Diphendydramine (which is the main ingredient for benadryl). You could just take the benadryl though if it works for you (though they seem to work better in combo strangely), it is non-habit forming and I can't imagine it interfering with your Lexapro at all (if that's all you take).
Bookmark and Share

Offline AudreyNicolle

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • :P xoxo
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
Thanks for replying guys! I have a regular MD that prescribes my Lexapro and that's all I'm currently taking. He prescribed it for my anxiety and depression (I'm assuming). I'm 23 years old and I see a counselor once a week.Benadryl does make me drowsy so I will try one of those tonight.
Bookmark and Share
:) AudreyNicolle

Tags: