Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dry sinuses or brain tumor?  (Read 257 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dry sinuses or brain tumor?
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
So for the past couple of days I have a constant smell of smoke in my nose. I don't smoke, and I can't even think of the last time that I was around someone who smokes. I'm worried that this is a symptom of a brain tumor! When I go to smell a candle or perfume, they smell normal and fine to me - they smell like they should, but when I'm not actively "smelling something" - I smell smoke. Could this be some type of sinus infection? I have no mucus in my nose and throat, if there is some, it's very dry. Could this be from dry air? We live in a very dry climate. I also want to note that we live about 5000 ft above the closest town, so when I was driving home from town today, my nose sort of "popped" a few times like your ears do when you're reaching high elevation. Our ears normally pop a few times on the drive up or down, but today my nose did it too inside the left nostril.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dry sinuses or brain tumor?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:22:55 AM »
definitely sounds like sinuses to me. i have chronic sinus issues as well and experience the same symptoms you described, including the weird smells. have you tried using a saline nasal spray to help with the dryness? i use the Simply Saline brand and it's a miracle for me. also the nose popping is something i've had many many many times before, it's pretty uncomfortable but definitely not a symptom of a brain tumor, just sinus issues!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
Thank you. I haven't tried any nasal sprays/saline as i have an amoeba fear as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 01:44:28 AM »
Still constantly smelling smoke. For half a week now. It's a smell that's constantly there, but if I actively go to smell something (or a smell comes to me...ahem...I have small children), I can smell it fine. But if my nose is "at rest" so to speak, I smell smoke.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »
Take some long hot showers, the steam will to alleviate the dryness in your noses. 

Also, do you have a wood stove or fireplace that you don't use much?  Wind can come down the chimney and bring the smell of smoke (from the creosote in the chimney) back into the house.  Is your furnace operating properly?  Also another source for smoke smells.

Do your neighbors burn wood?  Depending on the wind that smell can travel for a heck of a long way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
Thank you. I haven't tried any nasal sprays/saline as i have an amoeba fear as well.

oh man i can relate to that fear, amoebas are on my top 5 list of The Worst Things Ever that i worry about. the good thing about saline nose sprays are that they're completely sterile; they aren't neti pots which you use with your own water supply (i've sworn off neti pots forever after the whole amoeba thing went down, i've never even used one to this day lol). nasal sprays come in a pressurized can of purified water and a non-medicated sodium mixture and are COMPLETELY sterile so there's no chance of there being any sort of strange amoeba or bacteria in them. i was also afraid to use my spray when i first got it for that same fear, in fact i even started a thread asking about it on here, but now i've gone through three cans and i'm totally fine! they really do help a lot, so i hope you'll give them a try whenever you can.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: