Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sertraline and Buspar(or other meds to coincide with sertraline)  (Read 223 times)

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 1
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
Sertraline and Buspar(or other meds to coincide with sertraline)
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
I am currently on 100mg sertraline, and buspar 15mg 3 times a day, trazadone at night for sleep.  I feel like the sertraline alone doesn't do everything but it does work.  My psych prescribe buspar 2 months ago and I feel it isn't doing anything.  Is there another drug out there that kind of works like buspar but is not habit forming?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sertraline and Buspar(or other meds to coincide with sertraline)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »
I feel like the sertraline alone doesn't do everything but it does work.

I don't understand. Is the sertraline working or not?

My psych prescribe buspar 2 months ago and I feel it isn't doing anything.

So there was no reduction of anxiety after you began taking it?

Is there another drug out there that kind of works like buspar

Some of the anti seizure meds may help, but IMHO if anxiety is still a problem then your best option is to either increase the sertraline dose, 100mg is still at the low end of its therapeutic range, or switch to another antidepressant. I don't see the point of taking multiple meds when one good one should be capable of doing the job.

but is not habit forming?

Sertraline also causes dependence, as do all antidepressants.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Katiesue04

• You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:20:08 AM »
We did try to bump up the zoloft to 150mg but my body couldn't handle it(I had diarrhea for a month straight), that is why she decided to add in the buspar.  That doesn't seem to be working now either.  The Zoloft did seem to work in the beginning but over the past couple months I feel back to my preprescription med self.  I haven't had any side effects on zoloft other than when she bumped it up too high, I guess it's not really doing it's job though :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
The Zoloft did seem to work in the beginning but over the past couple months I feel back to my preprescription med self.

Then, unfortunately, I think it's time to move on to another antidepressant. If Zoloft was your first, then another SSRI like Celexa (citalopram) would be a good choice as you can do an overnight switch. It also has a good track record of working when another has pooped-out. OTOH, if you've has other SSRIs not work, or poop-out on you in the past then either a SNRI (except Effexor which is only another SSRI at typical anxiety doses) or tricyclic would be the way to go, IMHO.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Katiesue04

• You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
Thanks insights!  I will see what the psychiatrists says on Tuesday but I will mention switching definitely!
Bookmark and Share

Offline stevo1111

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
If an SSRI at a moderate dose doesn't work I wouldn't even bother playing games with another SSRI- odds are decent it won't work either. As Insights said, an SNRI might be a good try, but a moderate dose of TCA is slightly more likely to be effective. I see an awful trend of a lot of people living with anxiety because today's P-docs aren't giving TCAs or MAOIs a try and giving out SSRIs like asprins.

If you don't get the relief you need with an SNRI, drop it and move onto a TCA or MAOI. Just because the SSRIs and SNRIs are newer doesn't mean they're any better at giving you relief- they're just way less likely to induce an overdose and profitable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katiesue04

• You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
I talked to my psychiatrist today and she said that I have a lot of outside stressors going on.  Basically one of my coworkers is terminally ill and they need to hire another person to do work instead of relying on me to do the work of two people.  So we are going to give the buspar a little more time to work and I am going to go see her in a month.  She also wrote my boss a letter stating I am not allowed to work more than 45 hours a week so I am not so mentally drained/burnt out.  So I did get a lot of relief out of the visit today and I am so happy she wrote that letter and I hope that does the trick.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: