Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So overwhelmed  (Read 163 times)

Offline KevinMcGovern

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So overwhelmed
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
I am so stress and overwhelmed nowadays. I'm just glad I have this site to vent to. I just recently had some lower back pain after playing some basketball but still I convince myself it's linked to all my other symptoms and that It could be the cause of cancer. It seems like there's no hope for me to ever shake off this problem. Back pain, tiredness, itchy eyes, these all sound common but in my head there are dangerous and all linked together to one disease, cancer. I'm afraid and scared. I don't even know what to do anymore
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
Re: So overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the AZ.  I totally get what you are saying.  I do the same thing.  I feel all these everyday "noisy" body things: tiredness, muscle aches, itchiness, tingling ... whatever, you name it, and if it is a really good day, I can push them aside.  But if I am feeling overwhelmed or just not taking care of myself (too isolated, not exercising, not sleeping right, stressed, etc) then I wrap them all up into some crazy disease (often cancer based too).  I got no real solution.  I struggle with this.  Things that help me are just things I have to do, pretty much daily, to ward off the anxiety (for me it is sleeping right, exercising, being social, positive self talk - which helps me alot - when I remember to do it! - breathing exercises, stretching), and when I don't do these things, and I start the catastrophic thinking (the sore muscles must mean cancer - kind of thinking) then it's like I have to ride it out until I get that mental balance back.  It is much easier for me to prevent the catastrophic thinking than ride it out.  Distraction is another major thing that helps.  If you can distract yourself enough, you forget about the symptoms and begin to realize that these symptoms must be anxiety related.  Plus we fall into the trap of being hypersensitive.  Now that you recognize these symptoms and fear them, you're hypersensitive and notice them all the time.  So they seem more constant and intense than they really are (thus sinister - or so you think).  The best thing to do is accept the anxiety and begin to tackle the anxiety first.  That won't make your symptoms magically go away, but as you tackle the anxiety, then your body can begin to heal and become less symptomatic (and this is no quick process).  Are you doing anything to help your anxiety?
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline KevinMcGovern

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
I don't know how to help my anxiety go away. The only thing I find myself doing is googling my symptoms to find out why I'm having lower back pain and why this grey thing is on my eye. I try to find other reasons why I have these symptoms to hide my thoughts of me having cancer. I don't know if I have cancer and it scares me. I try to hide away my thoughts by playing sports but they come back as soon as I finish. I can't keep doing other stuff to push away my anxiety it just doesn't work for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
If you haven't had a physical in the past year, you may want to do that so you can discuss your physical concerns & anxiety with your Dr.  If you HAVE had one, then continuing to go to the Dr is not going to help, unless you are going to see a therapist.  Finding a therapist may be a good start for you.  Googling is NOT.  Check out some of the stickied threads on this board.  I found a lot of my anxiety help here on the AZ by reading posts on how people got through & handled their anxiety.  Some things that always come up: exercise, sleeping well, diet, limiting alcohol & caffeine & sugar, distraction, hobbies, positive self talk - it takes trial and error to find what works best for you.  And you have to choose to get started.  Don't wait for the symptoms to go away or even figure out what they are first.  You have to make the first move.  You can do it!
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline KevinMcGovern

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
I had a physical back in September and they didn't say anything was wrong with me when they checked my eyes and everything else. I keep saying to myself if there was something wrong with me they would have told me but that was over 5 months ago and now I thought "I probably didn't have cancer 5 months ago but it spread and I do now". I can't take it anymore. I'm hot, stressed, and hurting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
Then now it is time to start getting help for the ANXIETY - not the physical issues.  We all get physical issues, they come & go.  Dealing with the anxiety will help the physical issues either go away, or you will accept them as normal body noises - a part of life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline KevinMcGovern

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
I know I have to focus on the anxiety but I can't do that without drifting off and thinking that I may have cancer. Every single symptom I have I link it with cancer and I can't help myself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: