Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Should I stop worrying about heart issues?  (Read 157 times)

Offline playmaker093

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Should I stop worrying about heart issues?
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
At 18 with a perfect echo and nothing abnormal with a thirty day monitor should I stop worrying about my heart?  I just have centralized pain in my lower sternum and breathlessness daily.  I know I'm probably too young for any blockage but that's what I'm worried abou
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Should I stop worrying about heart issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
Hey I have centralized pain in my lower sternum area too. :(

I passed an echo cardiac stress test with flying colors. I would think if that breathlessness (which may be anxiety) were the heart, it would have showed on the monitor.

You're so young. Do you have a family history of heart issues?
Bookmark and Share

Offline playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »
No, no family issues. Only heart attack in my family occured with my great grandpa at 91
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
Believe me, anxiety can cause all sorts of issues. Given that you were checked out and don't have a family history, at 18 years chances of having a heart issue are incredibly small.
Bookmark and Share

Offline playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
The only refuge I take is I can usually recreate this discomfort, pain is a bad word, by pressing my upper adomomen and lower center of my chest.  I read somewhere that, that usually wasn't associated with heart disease.  I still feel like I want a stress test, but my mom says no 18 year old with a perfect echo will get one. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
Two things I will suggest to you, 1) costochondritis and 2) gallbladder

I have costochondritis, it is inflammation of the joints between your ribs and your sternum. If you press on certain areas of your chest, you can recreate the pain. This can be relieved with NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve) and an ice pack or heating pad.
If it's gallbladder, it can be referred pain. Does this pain worsen with certain foods? If you push on the area that hurts can you feel pain else where?

I have costochondritis, bad gallbladder (when I push on my mid chest or right abdomen the pain is felt in my belly button, left and right chest and in my lower stomach), and IBS and I have horrific health anxiety. I literally just got over the heart obsession so I definitely understand where your coming from.
Bookmark and Share

Offline playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
When I push I don't usually create pain, but it's a tender area.  Meaning I'll have lingering pressure where I press for a long time.  It's very discomforting more so than painful.  Um, I may feel some abdominal pressure when I push on my chest, but nothing as low as my belly button.  Costo could be likely considering since devloping HA I've also developed constant yawning and popping of my sternum when I stand from sitting. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:08:53 PM »
http://www.drugs.com/cg/costochondritis.html

I started mine with intense take your breath away pain, but everyone is different. I have had costochondritis since August and the pain I feel now is just tender spots that linger when I take my hand off the tender area. Mine goes down my arm and into my back. I have good days and bad. When I first got this, I was rushed to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack, this was also my very first time experiencing a panic attack. This site doesn't say this but popping from your sternum is also a symptom of costo.
Bookmark and Share

Offline playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
Thank you!  I have my appt with the cardiologist, who my mom works with and told me he is just going to say everything is fine, next week.  Like you, I have good and bad days, and it does seem worse with anxiety.  Or, anxiety makes me prod the area feeling for my heartbeat and then ends up causing inflammation.  Anyway, thanks for the help.  Saved me from another panic attack. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:36:51 PM »
Ohh my goodness, anxiety and stress in general is the worst for costo. You tense your muscles even if you don't realize it and it squeezes the already inflamed joints and only makes the pain even worse and makes the costo last even longer. Go see the cardiologist to set your mind at ease and then just work on relaxing techniques. But stay away from anything that requires a lot of upper body movement. Resting your chest is the only real way to get rid of it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: