Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Could really use anyone's advice  (Read 134 times)

Offline bbwire

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Could really use anyone's advice
« on: February 26, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »
Alright so I've decided to let it all out, I've been dealing with anxiety for over a year now and it's been really hard on me I've never expericened this before. My anxiety all comes from the fear of being crazy or having schizophrenia anything like that.

I have so many intrusive thoughts that bug me all day it makes me not know what I think! I know a symptom of schizophrenia is being delusional so that's the exact kinda thoughts I have I'll get a thought "what if everyone out to get me?" And then that scares me so I'll ask myself omg "do I actually think everyone out to get me?" And whenever I do that the thought becomes so abstract and so doubtful like idk what I think about it! Is that just my ocd? I've also started a new job in the last month and it just feels so weird to me I'll have those kinda thoughts, then I'll have thoughts like "what if life isn't real?" What if my new job is all fake?" Would this be derealization? I feel like idk what life is anymore and it's horrible I've never been like this! I could just really use some advice and reassurance if you guys have any, my main questions would be those thoughts that I'm having are those just my ocd? Especially whenever I'll ask myself if I actually think that and it's so doubtful, and would the way I feel be derealization? Thanks guys advice would be helpful 
Bookmark and Share

Offline bbwire

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could really use anyone's advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:05 PM »
Does anyone have some advice that would help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isabeau

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
Hey there!
Oh well, let me tell you, i have been exactly where you are, with the exact same thoughts and fears (And i know a lot of anxious people feel/ felt the same at some point). Hell i am still there sometimes and its been 5 years.
From what i experienced, let me tell you what i think is going on in our minds. Anxiety is a normal emotion but thats out of balance to us, we will experience fear when we KNOW we have nothing to be afraid of. So our logical analysis (And I think its proves we are actually very sane) of us feeling fear when there is nothing to be afraid of, is that somehow we must have gone crazy; in our heads, the logical pattern is this: I feel fear + I KNOW there is nothing to be afraid of = I must have gone crazy, or be psychotic! So we start reading articles on psychotic disorders to find relief but instead, we feed our fear and end up imagining we have every symptoms. So a few things this tells us:
- We understand that our anxious response to daily tasks are irrational, which makes us very sane. A schizophrenic person (I know one, and btw Schizophrenia is not as crippling as we think, that person works and is fully functional when on the right medication) in the middle of a crisis will, on the contrary, think that they are perfectly normal and that what they feel is appropriate giving the situation.
- Thinking that we are crazy is `normal` because with anxiety, we don`t understand our `out of proportion` feelings anymore, thus they make us feel weird and not in our normal state of mind, so `psychosis`seems like the only explanation possible.

But let me tell you, thinking this makes you very sane, and like it did for me, the more you learn about anxiety and its effects, the less you will fear psychosis. But please, please, dont feed your fear and stay out of Schizophrenia symptoms article because it makes the matter worse, i wished i stopped after a year   :angry-smiley-034: because i dug my own grave doing that!

A good book i would suggest is the well known Hope and Help for your nerves by Claire Weekes, it explains very well the mechanisms of anxiety and how it affects us, basically saved my life. I hope all of this makes sense, english is not my first language!

Ps: other advice: go out, change your mind and you`ll see, these moments when you`re not focusing on your symptoms you`ll feel `normal` again!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
I wish I had some awesome advice to give you, but I can tell you one thing that I was told when I was younger and I cling to it like a life preserver. People that are truly crazy don't worry about being crazy. They think they're normal.

I have no idea if it's true or what, but it helps me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: