Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Colon cancer? So scared :(  (Read 422 times)

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Colon cancer? So scared :(
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:30 PM »
Hey guys. For the past 4 days or so I have had a dull ache to the right of my belly button that occasionally is shooting pains and it also hurts to poke around on my left lower stomach as well. I am 19 years old and have no family history of colon cancer but I'm so paranoid. Doctor gave me urine test which was normal, a pregnancy test that was negative, and an abdominal xray that showed stool in my colon though I haven't felt constipated. She doesn't think it has to do with my ovaries and doesn't suspect appendicitis and just thinks I'm constipated and has me on miralax which hasn't done anything for me. My roommate gave me some of her laxative tea and I woke up with a crampy stomach and when I went to the restroom I had a few skinny short snakelike stools and that's it. I feel like I can't go. No bloody stools or anything though. I'm so worried :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colon cancer? So scared :(
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:50:29 PM »
Nervous I have a tumor or something blocking it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
way too young for colon cancer....not likely at all. colon cancer takes a LONG time to grow, you would have had to have gotten it when you were like 12 in order for it to be big enough to cause those symptoms now. and colon cancer doesn't happen to someone so young.

you are constipated. drink some prune juice. a few sips will like have you cleared out in no time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »
I've never had regular bowel movements though I go once every two days. I feel like if I was constipated i would've been able to fix that from the laxatives, I'm scared something's blocking it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
Flex your stomach muscles and push hard on all the areas and see if you still feel the pain. If so then the pain is muscular. I thought the same thing except my pancreas, then I flexed my stomach muscles hard and still felt the pain and I have VERY hard solid abs, so I realized it was a strain from lifting heavy furniture down my apartment stairs
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
Actually reece that is not true. Cancer has no age. Jess, the x ray would have shown if you had cancer. It showed constipation. Call your doctor and tell them the miralax isn't working. Lots of people have constipation issues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »
Like Brick said, if the x-ray showed stool in there it WOULD have showed a tumor, so relax...
Once I didn't go for 2 weeks (as a child), I took ex lax and I STILL didn't go!  (this was back in the 60's when everyone was a lot more laid back) I even forgot how I finally was able to go - but no doctors, nothing was wrong... and I'm still here :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
I have this right sided dull abdominal pain though and even the laxative tea my roommate have me made me feel super crampy like I had to go but when I tried I couldnt
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
Maybe whatever you had in there that the doctor saw already came out and it's just gas or something.  Colon cancer wouldn't hurt like that, but trapped gas would and you wouldn't see gas on an x-ray
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
brick,
colon cancer in a person that young is really really not likely. cancer knows no age is a very broad statement. most cancers do have age risks with them.
colon cancer is one of them. although i suppose someone very young could contract any type of cancer, it is not the norm. the screening for cancers starts at a certain age for most types because age is a risk factor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »
Well this isn't really making me feel better lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
colon cancer in a person that young is really really not likely. cancer knows no age is a very broad statement. most cancers do have age risks with them.
colon cancer is one of them. although i suppose someone very young could contract any type of cancer, it is not the norm. the screening for cancers starts at a certain age for most types because age is a risk factor.

Yes, this:)

Also, Jess, you stated no familial history which is a high ranking marker for colon cancer screening....along with age. You wouldn't even be scheduled for a regular colonoscopy until you were at least 40, with no family history or underlying medically presenting symptoms. Of course, HA peeps tend to get colonoscopies waaaaaaaaay too often (given for peace of mind, usually) and at a young age as we will present to a Doc with GI symptoms. And, we will be worried and it will show to your Doc and often he / she will schedule a colonoscopy...."just to be safe" or with that "peace of mind" in their mind. IBS is quite prevalent for anxiety sufferers and it can create a wide variety of GI symptoms - both vague and pretty darn harsh. I have had IBS for about 30 years or so. IBS can really bring havoc to your gut....and there is an incredible correlation between our brains and our GI system. Anxiety = yucky belly / bowels to many.

Many peeps get constipated, here and there. I once had a Doc tell me that going 3 times a day or once every 3 days is still "normal" in the grand scheme of things if a person is overall healthy.

What is your history with anxiety / health anxiety? What do you do for your anxiety?

Colon cancer at your age and with no family history would be incredibly rare. But, I do know HA and I know how odds and stats don't really mean squat. This is due to our faulty thinking patterns from our HA / ADs. This does not mean you will get CC because you really believe something sinister is lurking in your body. The faulty thinking patterns can be helped, managed and 'put in their place', so to speak. Easy? No, not for anxiety peeps. But, it can be learned and it can become almost natural in your defenses against dominant anxiety:)

Peace and Feel Well:)

P.S - Also, if you google enough, you will certainly come across a rare case of a 19 year old who did have colon cancer. This has ZERO bearing upon you and your body and own unique makeup. Google will lead you to nothing but despair. HA peeps, when struggling, simply cannot filter the information appropriately and in proper context with their own health. Docs do this. They put your symptoms into proper context....an amped up hyper mind cannot do this, so don't even try I say kindly. Too many HA peeps before you have....and we can relay the outcome to you, hopefully saving you some major exasperation (and anxiety:)

Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »
If it's any consolation, I have the exact same fear. I suffered with this anxiety for about four years now, though it did get better for a while but recently flared up again. I got diagnosed with IBS a few months ago, and the past few days I've 'sharted' twice and had diarrhoea type stools today and just felt really awful. I'm 19. Like I said though, I've been suffering with this for four years, while I know I'm struggling with it at the minute, I can tell you some things I've picked up over my time stressing over this: colon cancer symptoms like diarrhoea, or whatever, last I think at least two weeks non stop. I heard there's no 'good days' or breaks. That's when someone should go to the doctor. Also with an X-Ray they would definitely see something. Heck, I was on the phone to my doctor just yesterday and he said the recent blood test I had would have shown some abnormalities if I was sick. I know it's really hard to believe them, I've been full of doubt myself, but when you think about it, they're the trained professionals: they haven't just written us off, they've tested to see if everything's okey. And we're just a couple of anxious people who spend too much time googling. You should look into IBS if your bowel stuff has been weird for a long time. Like, I get blood almost everytime I 'go'. Have done since I was a kid. It has definitely scared me in the past, but ten years on, it's obviously nothing too bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
As I said, if you are concerned speak to your doctor again. I spoke to a doctor until I finally found one that listened to me. If constipation is normal for you, then no need to be concerned. If there was cancer, it would have been found on the x ray. Other things besides cancer can cause problems. Ibd, ibs, but if it is not normal for you, it needs to be addressed by a doctor. My problems started rarely and progressed to every day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Misty1989

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
Jess I know how ur feeling I thought I had it before too but it turned out to be me eating too much prossesed foods I actually have those symptoms right now try eating healthier foods and see how that works
Bookmark and Share

Tags: