Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nail Bitting  (Read 114 times)

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nail Bitting
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
I've had issues with biting and picking at my fingernails my entire life and just recently decided I want to try to stop. Right now I will sometimes bite or pull on my nails whenever I'm nervous or get a hang nail, and pick at my cubicles. I painted my nails this week in an attempt to make myself stop but I end up having to touch them up every day because at some point during the day I always end up either picking at my cubicles or nails. The other thing I tend to do that destroys my nails is using my finger nails as toothpicks when I get food stuck in my mouth. Anyways any advice on how to move forward would be appreciated. At the moment it seams like once I start picking at one of my nails it's very difficult to stop.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline moralthunder

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nail Bitting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
Nail-biting is a tough one. Without a reasonable doubt, it is a very satisfying habit. The best advice I can offer is to get rid of the nail polish, and use iso-propyl alcohol instead, it is absolutely foul. It is very strong and helped me to stop biting my nails. Becoming aware of the habit when under social circumstances can be difficult, because our conscious thoughts are being directed towards absorbing the situation going on right in front of you. A good exercise would be to take 10-20 minutes of quiet alone time per day, to re enforce your goals. Simply tell yourself you're going to stop, yell it in the mirror, meditate on it, write it down 50 times. Do something so that it becomes apart of your natural thought process. This may seem like a lot of work just to stop something as simple as biting your nails, which is why most people with the habit carry it to their graves. You need strong resolve to stop subconscious habits, to the point where it may not even be worth your time. However, if you feel strongly enough about the aesthetic and/or health benefits, then take my advice. It will work.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: