Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Stomach issues?  (Read 168 times)

Offline babagun00sh

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Stomach issues?
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »
This is now the 4th day that my anxiety has flared up. I have no appetite and I've been crying quite a bit, so my stomach is sore. It also feels kind of hard. Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stomach issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
Well, first, I hope that you are seeing a professional to check you over to ensure that you don't have any type of virus / flu, etc.

Then, if it is anxiety, that you can see a professional counselor to help guide you in management techniques.

Anxiety brain and the gut are intertwined in the nervous system . . .whenever I have anxiety. the stomach is the first to tell me and often it will feel very hard because the muscles tighten up during anxiety . . . .

Also, the less you eat, the body goes into starvation mode and sometimes the ability of the gut to function in a normal way gets out of whack . . .

All of this to say . . .if a doctor says you are physically okay and that it is anxiety, then you need some management techniques . . . anything from meditation to gentle exercise such as walking until you get used to it to reintroducing food back into your system . . . for example, if you have not been eating for a week, then don't go out and have a 5 course meal . . . this will overtax your system . . . start off with small meals and build up and make sure you drink water to stay hydrated . . .

But, really, you need a check in with a med professional and go from there . . . and, of course, come here as often as you would like to check in and let everyone know how you are doing . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
I agree it's always good to check in with a doctor.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Don't feel like you should be eating or that you need something, that just makes your anxiety worse. Don't ask yourself, "how am I going to get my appetite back?" but rather, try and let your anxiety run it's course in its own time. And for me, meditation works really well. Try meditating for a few minutes.

Keep a piece of fruit or a granola bar, or your favorite food, and try to just put it in your mouth every now and then and see what happens. Even if you just spit it out, that's ok. I think mashed potatoes would be a good option.

Your stomach is just naturally going to have an aversion to food if you don't eat, it's going to shrink, you'll have to slowly build it back up again so don't pressure yourself.

I used to barely be able to eat anything, then one day my anxiety let up when I was visiting my family, I was so happy I ate EVERYTHING lol. It felt so good to be able to eat again. You'll get there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
I've had apatite issues because of anxiety. My advice is to make sure you at least try to eat and if you don't end up being hungry you can just back leftovers for the next day. Often times when I don't think I have any apatite I ended up stuffing my face once I actually put food on my plate.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: