Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Baffled by symptoms... Could this be health anxiety?  (Read 185 times)

Offline new_mommy13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Baffled by symptoms... Could this be health anxiety?
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
I am new to the forum. Go figure I found it while I was "googling" and wondered if maybe talking to others who may be experiencing the same things might be helpful and reassuring. As I mentioned in my introductory post, I have suffered from anxiety most of my life. I do feel that I generally have a certain degree of general anxiety about everything, but over the years I have really fixated on various symptoms throughout my body and have convinced myself that I have had everything from IBS, heart problems, asthma, diabetes and cancer. None of which I actually have fyi.
I am now a new mom, my son is four months old, and I am experiencing a whole new variety of bodily symptoms since I had him. I have widespread pain throughout my body. Primarily in my arms, hands, legs and feet. The pain feels like it is in the joints, muscles and nerves. I also feel burning and tingling, extreme fatigue and temperature changes. At first I thought that my pain could be due to carrying around a 16lb 4 month old all day and nursing as well. But I guess at this point I am sort of having an "MS" type of scare. I have found that reading some of the sticky posts have been very helpful and informative. And I am amazed by the wide range of symptoms that anxiety can produce in the body. I should also mention that I have been to see my doctor as well as a rheumatologist and am told that they cannot find anything wrong in my blood work or exams. Given my history, in all probability it is a new range of health anxiety symptoms and it seems to be taking over my entire body. I just don't know how to calm myself down and I am really hesitant to take any medications because I am nursing. All of these crappy symptoms are making it very challenging for me to care for my son.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Baffled by symptoms... Could this be health anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »
Ah new mom  :winking0008:
I can tell you that when I was a new mom (my daughter was about 2 months old) I was getting such bad heart palpitations that I broke down and had to see a doctor (I generally stay away from doctors out of fear of diagnosis) but after getting those missed heartbeats every 30 seconds for 4 or 5 hours straight I couldn't deal with it anymore.   Diagnosis after wearing a 24 hour holter monitor?  "Lay off the caffeine"  (I wasn't drinking much coffee, but it translated to, "It's anxiety/nerves") - and this was from one of those alarmist doctors who want to send you for tests for EVERYTHING!  My friend would always get chest pains which stopped after she stopped hauling her son around.  Try to relax and enjoy your new baby, time goes way too fast (mine is 26 already)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjoyce

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Baffled by symptoms... Could this be health anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
HI new_mommy! Some of your symptoms sound hormonal. It takes a while for your body to get back to normal after having a baby. Tiredness and temperature changes are definitely hormonal. I have had them too. As for the pains in your body, I am sure they are just your anxiety. I have experienced the pains you're describing when I was going through one of my C fears. I was convinced I was dying and was in pain all over my body for weeks until I had a blood test that was completely normal. The pains went away that very same day... Go figure.
It's very hard to go through all this and care for your baby as well. Done that, been there. But I pulled through and you will also  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Tags: